Tack Room Talks and Family Horseback Rides at Sunset

Alice

The house smelled like homemade chili and cornbread when I walked through the front door, and as soon as I put my stuff down and showered and changed out of my scrubs, I went straight to the kitchen.

"Hey Rose." I smile at my sister-in-law.

"Long day?"

"The longest."

Rosalie nodded and went back to the stove. That's one of the things she shared with her twin brother. They were both quiet and oftentimes stoic.

"Mommy!" A little blonde blur sped right into my arms and all the tiredness faded away for a moment as I hug my 5 year old daughter. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, Thea." I plant a kiss on her head. "Where's daddy, love?"

"In the barn." She says chirpily. "I got to help with feeding today!"

"Oh? Jazz must be feeling generous today." I say jokingly. Our daughter wasn't exactly known for being graceful. Thea just stares at me confused, but I get a snort out of Rose.

"Speaking of Jasper, when was the last time you two were physically intimate with each other?"

My older brother and Rosalie's husband Emmett laughs from somewhere in the house and I choke on air, covering my daughter's ears. "Rosalie!" I hiss.

"What? I'm just curious."

"It's been a while. We're both busy with work and Thea." I admit.

Rosalie smirks and hands me a full picnic basket. "Go have dinner with him Alice. He's going to be happy you're home."

I open my mouth to say something but Rose shoos me out the back door. "Go! I've got Thea."

I slip on my old beat up tennis shoes, adjust the basket on my arm and head off to the barn, fussing with my clothes.

I step in and take a deep breath of all the horse related smells, letting it all wash over me. It felt warm and comforting.

"Jazz?" I call after taking another deep breath.

I hear the clatter of something falling onto the wooden floor. I must've taken him by surprise.

"Jasper?" I walk towards the source of the noise and end up in the tack room.

I barely have time to put the basket down on the table before I'm swept off my feet. My back  presses into the wall and I find myself looking into a pair of sparkling green eyes.

"Alice, you're home." He says softly, his deep voice resonating through my body.

"Hi Jazz." I wrap my arms around his shoulders. "You look tired."

"So do you, darlin'. Long shift?"

All I do is nod and sigh and Jasper kisses my forehead before setting me back on my feet. I collapse into a chair and watch as he finishes up whatever he was doing before I walked in.

"Rose is being nosy again."

"Scrounging for details on our sex life again, is she?"

I blush and nod in response. "With Thea in the room."

"Mm." He kneels down in front of me and I cup his face in my hands, tracing over some of his scars with my thumbs.

"Thea said you let her help with the feeding."

"It was just with her and Ren's ponies. She's too small to help with the bigger ones like Major."

"Any disasters?"