School Mischief

Thea

School had pretty gone like it normally does. Me and my cousin Henry had almost all of our classes together except for one. While he had art, I had a free period that I spent in the library.

We were in our last class of the day, which was  biology, and we were both getting a little antsy.

Now, I'm not saying we were constant troublemakers or anything, but occasionally, we did like to cause a little bit of chaos but not too much where we'd get detention or something.

Today wasn't any different.

I had zoned out when the teacher started talking about metaphase and all that stuff, but luckily came to it again when I hear my name being called.

"Sorry," I say a little sheepishly, "what was the question?"

Snickers echo through the room and I resist the urge to kick Henry's shin when he snorts in amusement.

"I asked what occurs during metaphase." Banner repeats, a bit annoyed. "Can anyone else tell me?"

Henry raises is hand and as he's called on, I can see a spark of mischief in his eyes and I attempt to hide my smile.

"Metaphase is the  second stage of mitosis during which the condensed chromosomes attach to the center of the spindle." My cousin replies in his thick Scouse accent.

"Can you repeat that?" Our teacher asks.

Henry repeats his answer, but in a Southern accent this time and Mr. Banner sighs again as the room erupts into laughter.

"Mr. Cullen, please pick one accent to use. Preferably one that's more easy to understand?"

"Yes sir, I'll remember that for next time." Henry says in an odd mix of both accents and I cringe a little bit but join in with the rest of the laughter.

"I'm getting too old for this." The teacher groans and the class erupts into laughter again.

Henry and I exchange looks of amusement then fist bump before returning our gazes to our textbooks.