Friend Zone

Thea

"Hi guys!" I say chirpily as I float to the table.

Everyone exchanges a look, but I ignore it.

"What's got you so happy?" My little brother Jax asks.

"Leo asked me out." I grin widely.

My cousin Henry chokes on his soda and goes into a coughing fit, which only stops when Dawn, his girlfriend, gently pats his back. "The same Leo who copies all of your homework and cheats on his tests by looking at yours? The football quarterback Leo?" He finally says.

"Yeah, why?"

"Did you say yes?" Dawn asks me.

"Of course I did. Why would I turn down the most popular guy in school?"

Three mouths drop open then snap shut to keep from saying something.

"What?" I demand.

"Nothing cuz. You won't listen to us anyway." Henry stands up and laces his fingers with Dawn's then walks away, Jax trailing behind them. I watch as he glances at me with sad puppy eyes, then turns away.

"Why?" A voice from behind startles me.

I turn to see Caleb, my best friend, staring at me, almost looking like he just got his heart ripped out.

"Why what?"

"Why'd you say yes?"

"Because he's hot, popular, and is the first guy at this bloody school who's shown interest in me."

Caleb gives me the same look as before, then he talks again. "He has a bad history with relationships and just genuinely isn't a good guy. And if you hadn't noticed, has the means to make your life a living hell."

"What are you trying to say, Caleb?" I snap.

"I'm just asking you to be careful, Thea." He pleads.

"Yeah, alright." I roll my eyes. "You're a great best friend. I'm lucky to have you."

He smiles at me sadly. "That's what I'm here for."

I awkwardly pat his shoulder, then skip off to meet up with my new friend group.