The Bet

Bella

"Hey guys... what's going on?" I look off to the side to see Jasper and Emmett in a heated argument with Rose.

"Jazz and Em are pissed." Alice informs me.

"I can see that." I retort. "But why?"

"Some guy catcalled Rose again." Edward answers me.

Oh no. My heart sinks.

"Is she okay?"

"She'll be fine." He smiles and laces our fingers together.

"Then why are they arguing?"

"Rose is trying to talk them out of fighting said guy."

"Ah." I say softly. "And what are you two doing?"

"Making bets." Alice says cheerily.

"On what?"

"Whether or not Rose will get her way or if Jasper and Emmett are gonna fight the guy like they said they would." She responds.

"How much?"

"Bella, are you wanting in on this?" Edward sounds surprised.

"No, I never bet on my friends. I'm just curious."

"If Jazz and Em get into a fight, everyone owes us 20 bucks." Alice starts.

"And if Rose wins, everyone owes her 20 bucks." Edward finishes.

"They're in on it too?"

The two Cullens next to me shrug innocently and shift their attention to the other three now walking toward us.

"Finally talked these two idiots out of a fight." Rose says, exasperated.

Everyone groans, except me, and hands over a 20 to the blonde girl who holds her hand out smugly.

"Just so you know Rose, that's our gas money for the car." Jasper informs his twin, grinning when she curses and hands the 20 back to him.

"I hate you guys." She falls back dramatically in her chair and crosses her arms.

"We love you too!" Her boyfriend and twin brother chorus.

Everyone at the table laughs and I join in, but I roll my eyes at their antics at the same time.

Edward looks at me with a smile and squeezes my hand and I squeeze his back before returning to the conversation.