Riding Lessons, Family Time, Nap time Disagreements, and Much Needed Quiet Time

Jasper

"Uncle Jazz look! I'm doing it!" My nine year old niece calls to me and I turn around, smiling when I see what she's doing.

"Great job Ren! Keep it up!" I call back to her.

"Go Ren go!" My 5 year old daughter Thea yells in addition and I laugh then return to the conversation I was having with Bella and Edward, who was barely listening because he was too busy freaking out about his daughter being on a horse, despite me telling him she'd be okay.

"Alright Ren, bring it in. You've done really well today." I tell her about 20 minutes later and I see her nod from across the paddock.

"Daddy, I'm hungry." Thea whines into my shoulder.

"Mom and Auntie Rose will be right out with food soon, little love. And then it's nap time."

"I'm not tired though. I wanna stay out here with you."

"I have work to do after we eat, Thea. You're going to nap after lunch and that's final. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I understand." She huffs and looks away with a pout.

Laughter floats across the field and I sigh in relief.

"Lunch is ready!" My wife and sister say in unison and everyone files over after washing up.

"Hey love, did you have fun with Daddy and Ren?" Alice comes over and takes Thea from me and I stretch out my arms then take a seat in one of the chairs.

Thea nods and runs off to Rose, who sits her down in front of a plate.

"You okay Jazz? Thea didn't cause too much trouble, did she?" My wife sits on my lap and I wrap my arms around her.

"We're fine darlin.' She's just a bit crabby, that's all."

"Nap time disagreement?"

"Just like clockwork."

"One of these days she'll go down without a fuss." Alice murmurs.

I kiss her temple. "What universe are you living in?"

"The one where our daughter naps quietly."

I press another kiss to her temple. "Can I come?"

"You're always welcome there whenever you want."

"Thanks." I say with a grin and I get a kiss in return.

"Hey lovebirds, come eat!"

————

After what feels like hours, I stumble into the house quietly and make my way to the bathroom to shower, then I collapse face first onto the bed with a groan once I'm done.

"How'd it go?"

"Which thing?" My voice is muffled by the pillow.

"Both of them." Alice sits next to me and rubs my back.

"Thea and Ren did a number on their fort." I say, a bit amused. "I didn't think it was possible for them to knock over sturdy wood."

"Emmett was in there with them. I'm pretty sure there was a tickle fight or something."

"That would explain it."

"Did you get it fixed?"

"Eventually." Alice snorts and I smile.

"And the other thing?"

"Phone meeting with potential sponsors for Ren."

"And?"

"It went fine. Until Edward happened."

"Ah." And she leaves it at that.

"Jasper?" She asks after a few moments of silence.

"Alice?" I respond in the same tone.

"I love you." She lays down and I pull her into my arms.

"Love you too."

"Get some rest, babe." She cups my face.

"Only if you stay with me."

She laughs. "I'm not going anywhere, Jazz. Now rest. Nurse's orders."

I kiss her. "Yes ma'am."