Hospital Reunions pt. 1: Alice

Alice

Jasper drifted in and out of consciousness for days following the extensive surgeries to get every piece of shrapnel out of his body.

Now, there lying in the hospital bed, practically wrapped in bandages and gauze from head to toe, he finally looked peaceful.

So much had changed since I'd seen him last. His hair was shorter and lighter and he was taller, broader, and had more muscle mass. His cheekbones and jawline were more noticeable too. He had finally lost the last hint of boyishness in his features.

My heart rate picks up when he stirs. He's mumbling something, but it's slurred together from the effects of the painkillers. He sounds scared though.

"Jasper?" I ask, hesitant and quiet.

He mumbles something else and his breathing quickens. He definitely sounds scared now.

I want to help him so bad, and it hurts that I don't know how.

"Alice, watch out!" He shoots up, wide awake and alert, then groans from the pain.

"Jazz Jazz, shh. It's alright. You're safe now." I attempt to soothe.

"Alice?" The one eye I can see is wide with disbelief, but the tears still come.

I feel my own tears gathering at my waterlines and I sniffle. "Hi Jazz. You kept me waiting long enough."

The crooked smile I love so dearly appears and he laughs softly. "My apologies, ma'am. Didn't know I had somewhere to be until now."

It doesn't take much for us to melt into each other's arms. Long distance and only a few short letters and the occasional phone call will do that to someone.

I take into account the placement of all his stitches before pulling him in for our first kiss in two excruciatingly long years.

"God, I missed you." He tells me in between little pecks.

"I missed you too. I was so scared when you died on the operating table Jazz. All my worst fears that I buried deep down came true."

"You saved my life, Alice. You and Carlisle. I owe you."

"You don't owe us anything, Jasper."

"Yes I do, my brave little pixie nurse."

I knew arguing with him when his mind was made up was pointless, so I drop the subject.

"I miss your curls." I say with a pout. "I don't like seeing you without them."

"They'll grow back darlin'." 

I blush at the endearment. I had no idea how much I missed his accent until now. "I love you."

He gives me a sad smile and looks away, gazing out the window.

"Jasper?" I try to keep my voice from cracking.

"Do you Alice?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" My face heats up in anger.

"Do you love me or the version of me from two years ago?"

I try to say something but no words come out.

"I'm broken Alice. I have nightmares every night of my life. I've done and see things I wish I hadn't. And to add onto it, once all these bandages and stitches are gone, I'll be scarred. Unrecognizable. Can you really love someone like that?"

"Oh Jazz," I sob and hug him the best I can. "I could care less about what you look like. I love what's in your heart. You're a good person, despite the things you've done and seen. And you know what? We'll deal with everything by stride. I'm not letting you leave me again. I can't lose you. Please don't leave me."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"You promise?"

"Yes ma'am, I promise."

I kiss him softly, but I pour all of my emotions into it at the same time. "I love you, Major Jasper Whitlock-Hale. All of you. But if you ever run into a minefield or do anything stupid or reckless ever again, I will track you down and drag you back home kicking and screaming. You hear me?"

"Yes," he laughs. "I hear you. I love you too, Alice Cullen."

We talk for what seems like hours and then I notice him getting drowsy again.

"You need rest, babe. You've got a lot of healing to do." I help him settle back on the pillows.

"Stay a little longer?" He pleads.

"Alright." I say with a fond smile. "Just for a bit. I need to go help Dad after."

I curl up next to him, whispering soft stories and other little things into his ear until his breathing evens out and he falls asleep.

"Sweet dreams, cowboy."