Homecoming

Alice

I sit on a bench outside of the gym, miserable and cold. There was a reason I hated coming to school dances. I either came totally alone, or the person I planned to come with had other plans.

"Alice?" A voice asks from behind me.

The tall, absolutely gorgeous form of Jasper Whitlock-Hale appears seemingly out of nowhere and sits next to me.

"What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be inside? It's much warmer in there, y'know."

"I know." I mumble. "I'm just not in a dance mood right now."

"Did something happen? Are you okay?"

"I got stood up by James." I fist some of my dress in my hands. "He said he couldn't come tonight because of other plans, and then in he waltzes moments later with that redhead Victoria from my English class."

"God, Alice. I'm so sorry."

"It's alright." I say sadly and Jasper looks like he doesn't agree with me.

"Enough about my crappy night." I say with a sigh. "What are you doing out here?"

"I'm not a people person. And if I have to watch my sister Rosalie making mournful doe eyes at your brother Emmett again, I might throw up."

"Wait, hold up. Are you saying that your sister might have a thing for my brother?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Both of our eyes widen at the realization and we start laughing. "Can you imagine?" I cackle.

"Rose is so headstrong and stubborn. Emmett will need all the help he can get if he's gonna win her over."

I shake my head with another sigh, then shiver as the slight breeze picks up a little. "I wish I stayed home tonight."

"Come on now, if you had, we wouldn't have gotten to hang out."

"That's true." I admit.

"Why don't we go inside, and we can hang out some more if that's okay with you."

"Sounds nice." I smile. "But you do have to slow dance with me at least once."

He groans. "Alright, fine. It'll be worth it if it means I get to dance with the prettiest girl in the room."

I blush. "I'm not that pretty, Jazz."

He opens his mouth to say something but shuts it quickly, then opens it again. "On the contrary, Ms. Cullen, I think you are."

"Thank you, Mr. Whitlock-Hale." I blush even more.

He smiles and holds out his hand and I take it and let him lead me into the crowded gym.