Havoc

Thea

Turns out, when the adults say "go outside for a while," it doesn't mean "go wreak havoc downtown."

Oops.

And we weren't "wreaking havoc" as my father would put it. It was really just a bit of harmless fun. I guess I should start from the beginning though.

It was a warm day in the early summer here in Forks, and yet, all us teenagers wanted to do was sit inside on our phones. Well, at least my newly-turned 16 year old cousin Henry was being productive by setting up dates and times for his next few art shows in Seattle and Port Angeles. Me and my younger brother Jax were trying to beat each other at a slightly-too-competitive-to-be-fun game of Scrabble with Friends. Jax, like always, was somehow winning.

"Oh come on!" I throw my hands up in defeat. "You have got to be cheating!" I accuse.

The 13 year old smirks. "Or you're just really bad at this." His brown eyes glinted with mischief.

"You suck." I whine.

"No, my dear sister. I believe it is you who sucks."

"Children, please." Henry murmurs, not looking up from his phone and notepad. "Behave yourselves."

"Yes mother." Jax and I retort and we both laugh, causing a heavy sigh to come from the other end of the couch.

We fall back into our game, trying to be a little more quiet so Henry could finish his work in a semi-peaceful environment.

That didn't last very long because I let out a loud protest when Jax wins yet again.

"Seriously, Jack, it's not fair. You have got to be cheating."

"I'm not cheating Thea! I swear!"

Our cousin focuses his gaze on us and does a stare down that had to have come from his mother. "What are you two fighting about now?"

"What makes you think we're fighting about something?" I ask innocently.

"Because 1) you always are, even if it's playful and 2) I can literally hear you. I'm pretty sure the entire house can hear you."

"It's just a friendly game of scrabble, Henry. Nothing else."

"You two playing Scrabble is dangerous, you know that, right?"

Jax and I roll our eyes in sync and Henry sighs again. "Why do I feel like I'm a mother hen?"

"That's because you are." Jax laughs.

"When did we decide that?"

"Ages ago."

Henry sighs, yet again and the room returns to the peaceful silence of before.

Then after a while, my mom walks in. "Hey you three, why don't you go outside for a while."

"Do we have to?" My brother whines.

"It's a nice day out and you've been cooped up all week."

"I wouldn't mind going for a walk." Henry stands up and takes me and Jax with him.

"Have fun you guys. Don't wreak havoc downtown or anything."

"What makes you think we'd do that?" I ask.

My mom raises an eyebrow and shakes her head then walks off, probably to find Dad.

We all get ready to head into town and soon we find ourselves there. It starts off as a harmless walk, but soon, it turns into a bit of mischief.

"What are you doing?" Henry asks, slightly panicked.

"We're bored." Jax says.

"So we're making things a little more interesting." I add.

"By doing what exactly?"

"Don't worry, Henry. It's nothing illegal."

"Whatever it is you're thinking about, stop it. It can't be anything good." My cousin pleads.

"Listen to Henry, Thea." A voice sounds from behind us.

"Dad?" Jax and I say in confused unison.

"Your mother had a feeling you'd be trying to wreak havoc somewhere."

"To be fair, Uncle Jazz, I tried to talk them out of it." My dad nods and turns around, gesturing for us to follow him to the car.

The three of us tread behind him but me and my brother can't help but smirk at each other.

"Stop it." Dad sighs. "We'll talk about this at home."

"Yes Dad." We say.

We pile into his old pickup and ready ourselves for the talk at home.