Meet Me in the Pouring Rain

*Title from Taylor Swift's song Sparks Fly*

Charlotte

"Did you hear what happened?"

"I heard she wasn't even paying attention."

"What sort of mother turns her back and lets her own children get hurt?"

This was too much for her. She shouldn't be here, drinking champagne and eating fancy finger food, she should be at home with her sons.

She ignored the sound of mocking laughter following her out of the large house and onto the porch.

The sounds of the lively party disappeared as she shut the front door and she shivered as the cold rain hit her bare arms.

Of course it was raining. And she had forgotten her coat inside too.

The heels of her shoes sunk into the grass and only when she was far from the house could she breathe again.

Moments later, the crunch of gravel snapped her from her thoughts.

"Lottie, are you okay? What are you doing out here?"

"I had to get out of there. It was too much."

"What was too much?"

She didn't answer right away, instead opting to look at the man who had followed her out.

Peter, her husband. Dressed in his best suit and coat, but his hair had long since come ungelled and was hanging in front of his sharp blue eyes.

The only thing that was missing, she realized, was his cane. Instead he was holding an umbrella and had her coat draped over the other arm.

"Your leg's gonna hurt tomorrow. Where's your cane?" He had injured his leg in the same minefield incident that nearly killed his cousin Jasper years ago, and has had to walk with a cane ever since because it never healed right. And if there's one thing she knew, it always hurt like crazy before, during, and after a storm.

"I left in the car earlier, and to hell with my leg, you're more important right now." He inched forward a little more and Charlotte saw him wince from the pain. "You're soaked to the bone. What were you thinking?"

"It got too much. The ladies in there, they were talking about the twins' accident."

"And what were they saying?" His hand shot out from the umbrella to push some dripping hair from her face then moved back under just as fast.

She repeated what she had heard and when she looked up, his eyes were blazing. "They had no right to say that."

"It's true though. It is my fault."

"It isn't your fault, darling. Teddy and AJ made their choice when they tried to climb onto a temperamental, untrained horse's back."

"My back was turned. I could've helped them."

"You pulled them away when the horse reared up."

"I know, but still..."

"Charlotte, you did everything that you could. Our boys are lucky to have you as a mother."

She sniffled. "You think so?"

Peter smiled that beautiful Whitlock crooked smile and if it were possible, she'd be a puddle on the ground by now. "I know so."

"Thanks. You're a pretty great dad."

"Pretty great? Babe, I'm f***ing fantastic." His smile turned into a cocky smirk and she has to resist the urge to wack him with the umbrella.

"Cocky asshole."

"Ah, but you love it."

He pulls her under the umbrella and it takes her a moment to realize he's wrapped her in both of their coats.

"Won't you get cold?"

"You need it more than I do, love. You're shivering."

She sighs. "Oh."

"Let's go home, Lottie."

"Won't they miss you in there?"

"I told them we'd be leaving early as soon as I realized I couldn't find you."

"You're leaving your own honors party early for me?"

"I'd do anything for you. Don't you know that?"

She has a hard time figuring out if the water rushing down her face are tears or drips from her hair, but she wipes it away quickly. "I love you, pretty boy."

"I love you too, but I wish you'd stop calling me that. Aren't I getting a bit too old for that nickname?"

"Never." She stands on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "You're stuck with it, pretty boy."

He sighs exasperatedly but still leans down and plants a much needed kiss on her lips. "Let's go home, my love."

"Okay."

A/N: a little different than normal, hope you like it<3