Baby Shower

Alice

I watch from the window as all our guests gather together under the canopy we set up in the field behind our house and my heart pounds.

I rest my hands on my growing stomach, hoping that the feeling of my daughter moving around would help to calm my nerves.

"You okay love?" My husband comes up behind me and rests his chin on top of my head, and I smile for a moment when he presses a kiss into my hair.

"I don't know why I'm so nervous..." I admit.

"It's gonna be alright, Alice. Just take some deep breaths."

I do as he says and start to feel a bit better, then I turn around in his arms and sigh.

"Thanks, Jazz."

"Mhm." He hums and I feel him run a hand up and down my back soothingly.

I look up at him and smile instantly when I see his hair tied up with a pink ribbon.

"Where'd you find that?"

"I stole it from your nightstand drawer."

I giggle. "I told you you didn't have to be here."

"I know, but I want to."

"God, you're ridiculous." I murmur against his skin as I kiss the knuckles on his free hand.

"I think the baby disagrees."

I feel her kick when she senses Jasper's presence and I roll my eyes. "How come she's more active whenever you're around?" I whine.

"I bet she'll be a daddy's girl." He teases a bit.

"Ridiculous." I murmur again.

"You love it."

"Maybe."

His laugh vibrates through my body, and he kisses my head again. "Ready darlin'?"

"As I'll ever be."

—————

The baby shower goes on without a hitch and I collapse on our bed later after everyone's gone home and everything's cleaned up.

"I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did." Jazz flops down next to me, wild curls brushing my face as they escape the ribbon for good.

"Your sister said the same thing."

He laughs. "Of course she did."

"I'm surprised you lasted that long. Normally social events drain you after like, half and hour."

"I definitely felt it, but being there for you was more important than my comfort."

"Such a gentleman." I say with slight sarcasm.  "You really didn't have to be there if you were uncomfortable, Jasper."

"I know, but like I said before, I wanted to be there."

"All for me?"

"Nah, for the finger food." He says with a smirk and I shove him.

"I hate you."

"You wound me, darlin'." He clutches his hands to his heart dramatically.

"I love you so much though. You're the only person who would blatantly put themselves in an uncomfortable position just to keep me happy."

"And safe." He adds.

"Overprotective fool."

"I can't help it." He protests.

I shake my head. "I really do love you, y'know."

"I know." Jazz replies. "I love you too."

"Forever?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am, forever."