Chapter twenty eight - Inside Man

Quackity's pov

It had been a couple days since the chaos of the election. Things have been going good so far. There's just a couple hiccups.

For one Schlatt is a complete drunk. He always drank and I knew that, but it's getting worse. He does an ok job running the country, but if he keeps drinking this place is going to go to shit.

Another thing is I haven't been aloud down in the cell under the podium since the day I brought Ophelia there. Schlatt is very secretive about it and won't let a soul down there. The only person aloud is him and with the drinking I can't imagine he's treating her nicely.

Schlatts been gone for a couple hours so I decided it was time I make sure she's ok. We had been close for a while so there was no way in hell I would leave her there to rot.

I made my way to the podium and checked my surroundings before sneaking down the stairs to her cell. I rounded the corner and when I saw the state she was in I gasped. When she looked at me she furrowed her eyebrows and questioned me.

"What are you doing here?" She said warily. My eyes widened and I quickly unlocked the cell door and went in. I then ran up to her and tried to place my hand on her shoulder, but she flinched away.

"What the hell did he do to you!?" I questioned hurriedly, referring to the many bruises littering her body. She gave me a questioning look as she spoke.

"What do you care? Aren't you his vice president or something?" I wasn't afended by her comments which seemed to surprised her. I brushed it off and answered her questions.

"He wouldn't allow me down here. I had no idea he was doing this to you." I explained calmly as I kept an eye on the stairs.

"So Schlatt doesn't know your down here?" I looked back to Ophelia and shook my head.

"He's been gone all day. Said he wouldn't be back for a while." Her eyes widened and she froze.

"What?" She muttered. I gave her a confused look before elaborating more.

"He said he was going out for a while to look for something." She didn't move

"No." I heard her mumble as she looked down at her lap. "No!" She shouted before attempting to get off the bed. I grabbed her shoulders and heald her in place.

"Woah there! be careful! With those injuries theres no way you'd be able to walk, much less break out of a fucking prison!" I shouted as I helped her back onto the bed. She fought me with what little strength she had left.

"No. I have to get out of here. Hes going to find him!" She spoke weakly. I glanced at the stairs once more before nodding.

"I want to help you...believe me, but I can't. Your a threat to this country memory or not. You have to stay here, but I promise I will talk to Schlatt. I won't let him keep doing this to you." She shook her head and continued to fight against me.

"No! You don't understand-" She started before I cut her off.

"I'm sorry Ophelia, but I can't just let you go." It hurt me to say those words to someone so close to me. Someone I'm supposed to help and trust...but she's not that person anymore and I needed to realize that. The Ophelia I was speaking to was not the Ophelia I considered a close acquaintance.