~:*:~ Ten ~:*:~

Bright

There was a loud, rapid knock on my door at seven in the morning. I rolled around and grumbled, annoyed by the unexpected wake-up call.

"Come back at a more reasonable hour!" I shouted from my bed in protest.

The knock came again.

"Go away! I'm not buying whatever it is you're selling!" I growled sarcastically.

The knocking grew louder and more repetitive. It seemed like that whoever it was intended to thoroughly irritate me until I opened the door.

I tossed my covers off and practically sprang out of bed before stomping towards my door, ready to deck whoever was out there. "WHO THE HELL-"

Smiling back at me with two coffee cups and a bag of freshly made muffins was none other than Jedson.

For fuck's sake.

"What do you want?"

"I brought you breakfast!" He admitted gleefully.

"How did you find me?"

He admits simply, "You're name is on the door."

Annoyed at my own stupidity, I use the sleeve of my sleep shirt to erase my name from the welcome message on my door's white board. As if that would make Jedson forget where my room was located in future...

"Can you please just go? It's too early for your nonsense."

Instead he pushed passed me to enter my room, uninvited. "And what sort of nonsense are you referring to?" He said with a sly tone.

I had no choice but to close the door. I didn't want whatever argument we were about to have to wake up my neighbours.

"What do you want, Jedson?" I repeated gravely as I moved to sit back down on my bed.

He took a seat in my desk chair. "Why do I have to want something from you to be here? Can't I just bring you breakfast and say hello?"

"We're not friends! We're not even acquaintances, really! Our one interaction didn't go very well, so I have no intention of repeating it. Please, just leave me alone!"

"I don't understand what I did wrong." He looks genuinely confused as he recalls our meeting the other day.

He hands me one of the coffees with a bag of milk and sugar. I accept it absentmindedly, and then reach for one of the muffins. I should have refused it, but my grumbling stomach won out. The breakfast was already at hand, so it would be a waste to throw it away.

He continues, "I was just trying to defend you from being bullied! And now that you're up for Campus King, you've become extremely popular!"

"I don't want to be popular... not everybody feels the same way as you do."

"What's wrong with having people fawning over you?! You're insanely cute!"

I couldn't help but blush at his compliment. It wasn't the first time I'd heard it, but it was certainly the first time that I liked hearing it.

Back in high school there were a lot of girls who were jealous of my pretty face, as well as a great deal of boys who were intrigued by it. It became apparent that the only romantic offers I was ever to receive were from guys; everyone just assumed that I was gay.

But I've always identified as straight. I wanted to date girls, but apparently they didn't want to date me. I just resigned myself to the fact that if I waited patiently, I'd one day be rewarded with a lovely girl to date, marry, and have children with.

Even so, I found myself flattered that Jedson complimented me. It was the first time a boy made me blush with delight.

But I wasn't about to let him know that he had an effect on me!

"I just prefer to keep to myself. I like to pick my own company... and I certainly don't want to befriend those who would poke fun at me."

He seemed startled, assuming that I meant him. "I didn't mean it like that! I wasn't making fun of you-... I genuinely think you look cute... you're very attractive, Bright."

I was blushing again. "Shut up." I grumbled meekly.

He went on, "And I wasn't making fun of you with the nomination either. I truly believe that you have a shot at being King. If anything, you should want to win just to silence all those who do pick on you about your appearance."

I shook my head, only this time I wasn't so firm. "I'd rather just stick to my studies. I won't have time for such a commitment, and I don't see it being worth it in the end."

"Not worth it? Not even to just spend a little more time with me?" He raised his eyebrows with mock offense.

I restated my earlier argument, "We're not friends, Jedson."

"But we could be... I'd like to be."

Damn, this guy had a flirtatious way about him... whether it was intentional or not.

"Please, Bright. Give it a shot! At least come to the first meeting so you can get some more details about the whole event. Make your decision after that."

I rolled my eyes and threw my hands up in defeat. I couldn't turn him down with that puppy-dog expression on his face. "Fine! I'll go to one meeting... JUST one!"

He clapped his hands together in triumph. "Excellent!"

"Now get the hell out of my room." I stood up to open the door, gesturing for him to leave.

"Not without you!"

"What-"

"The meeting starts at eight! You've got thirty minutes left to wash up and change." He pulled my shower caddy off of my desk to hold out for me. "I'll wait for you here."

I gave him an incredulous look. "So that's why you came here so early and brought me breakfast?! How did you know that you'd be able to convince me?"

He shrugged, "I can be fairly persuasive when I want something."

I grabbed my caddy from him to storm off towards the bathroom, but then I reversed my course to snatch away his partially eaten muffin from his other hand. I took a triumphant bite before chucking it back at him like a baseball. We both laughed as it bounced off of his chest with crumbs flying, then fell to the floor.

"Clean that up, if you know what's good for you." I teased playfully as I walked away.

He called out so I'd hear him down the hall, "As you command, my dearest friend Bright!"

Spending time with Jedson was a dangerous notion, but I don't think I could help myself. Staying away was no longer an option.

 Staying away was no longer an option

Hello lovelies!!!

So what do we think of Bright's history with dating, or lack-there-of? How would you feel if people assumed your sexual preferences based on your looks? (A reminder, everyone assumes Bright is gay because he's pretty)

Is Jedson also making assumptions?

Is Jedson too forward? Is this flirting or does he just want friendship?

Do you think Bright will remain in the Royal Court Freshie Contest?

Thanks for the chat!
Please follow, vote and comment 💜