~:*:~ Fifty-Seven ~:*:~

Ian

After morning classes, Chace and I found that we both had a fair amount of time to kill before our separate lectures later that afternoon.

We banged on Jedson's door to see if he wanted to join us on the field to kick the ball around a bit. Nate saved us a trip to his room by already being in Jedson's room, but they both turned down our offer because they were baked out of their minds. I smacked them upside the head for not sharing with us, especially since our morning classes proved to be all together pointless as the professors just introduced themselves and went through the course outline that was already available to us online. Showing up for attendance marks hardly seemed worth it...

After we changed and laced up our cleats, I raced down to the field with the ball to lay claim to one of the nets. Chace bolted to Leona's room to see if she was interested in playing as our goalie again. Chace and I enjoyed taking turns playing offense and defence. Deking each other out was great and all, but it was even better when we could finish the move with a goal against a real person instead of just an empty net. Getting past Chace's defense and scoring on Leona was definitely rewarding given both of their skill levels! If we kept up our practising routines, I'm sure we'd have no problem crushing tryouts.

I was practising my foot work alone for a strange amount of time. I kept looking back at Massey, expecting Chace to jog around the corner to join me at the back fields. But he never showed up.

Leona was first to appear. She had changed into her own sportswear and her best runners. She smiled and tugged at her ponytail to ensure that it was tight enough. She stopped beside me and began to stretch in anticipation.

"Sorry I took so long! At first Chace couldn't find me because I was in Bright's room keeping him company. I tried to convince the kid to come out to watch for some fresh air, but he wouldn't budge. Then when I got back to my room, I discovered that my insipid, petty little roommate hid my sneakers in retaliation for tracking mud in last time I played with you guys. I mean, what the fuck, right?! I cleaned it up, yet she still figures it's her duty to police my activities. What a fucking psycho!"

"And what did you do for revenge?" I gave her a knowing smile, excited to hear just how petty she was in return.

She shrugged nonchalantly as she admitted, "I dunked her fuzzy slippers in toilet water. I'm pretty sure there was still a little pee in the bowl, so now they're wet and stinky."

I let loose a boisterous laugh. Leona was honestly the coolest, funniest girl I had ever met. I was beginning to think that her insane beauty wasn't the only thing that drew her and Chace together all those years ago. If it weren't for the bro-code, and for the fact that I knew she'd outright refuse me for Chace's sake, I would have asked her out a long time ago.

But this is actually better; having her as a lifelong friend was more appealing than losing her altogether after a few dates or a brief love affair.

"I'm just hoping I'm around when she realizes! The look on her face is going to be priceless!" Leona gave a theatrical, maniacal laugh before returning to her stretches.

I looked around again, wondering if I'd miss Chace's approach when Leona came. "Didn't he come down with you?"

"You mean Chace? No, he left me in Bright's room to meet up with you. Wasn't he here?" She asked with genuine confusion.

"No..."

"Maybe he went back to your room to grab some water bottles or something?"

"I'm going to go see what's taking him so long." I said as I began to cross the field back to Massey. I called over my shoulder, "Just keep stretching, Leona! I'll be back in a flash!"