~:*:~ Sixty-Eight ~:*:~

Bright

Late that evening, Jedson finally woke up.

I wanted to immediately run into the room and apologize profusely, but since I wasn't family I still had to wait until someone gave me permission.

"Visiting hours are about to end, Bright." Michael pointed out after he hung up his phone. "I just told your friend Leona to stop by with the others tomorrow morning since they won't make it back to the hospital in time tonight. The nurses will be moving him out of the ER to a standard room tonight, so it will be easier for you all to see him then. You should go home... come back with your friends."

"I'd rather see him tonight, even if it's for a few seconds." I admitted eagerly.

Michael let out a heavy sigh, clearly annoyed with my persistence. As the culprit to this unfortunate accident, I was certainly causing his family a great deal of distress hanging around in the hospital all day. They were probably hoping I'd give up waiting at some point, or I'd at least admit defeat with only twenty minutes left for visiting hours. But I wasn't giving up until I absolutely had no choice.

Michael ordered me to stay in the waiting room so his parents could have some privacy with their son. The three of them remained with Jedson for a good portion of time, probably on purpose to run down the clock and deny me access. His parents came out with a minute to spare looking relieved and tired. His mother gave me one last hard look of disapproval before heading out with her husband. I hated that she had such a bad impression of me, but I deserved it.

Michael came out of the room and closed the door just as the clock struck 10pm. I stood up and moved towards the door so I could finally see Jedson, but Michael stopped me.

"Time's up, Bright."

"I need to see him!" I whined.

"He doesn't want to see you." He stated firmly, hoping that would be enough to send me on my way.

I couldn't believe him. "Did Jedson actually say that?"

"Not in those words exactly."

"Then what did he say?"

"He said that he 'got the hint' and that he'll be 'leaving you alone from now on'. He also said 'sorry for all the trouble he's caused you'. So yeah, he doesn't want to see you." Michael repeated his earlier deduction like it was an irrefutable fact.

I was completely flabbergasted. "He's sorry?! HE is saying sorry to ME?! WHAT THE FUCK IS HE THINKING?!"

Without warning, I used my sudden surge of anger to propel myself forward without care of consequence. I basically shoved Michael aside to get to the door handle, and then I entered the room like I was a tornado without direction. I shoved past busy doctors and nurses who were urgently tending to other patients, knocking into rolling carts of medical equipment and tripping over wires without sparing a second to untangle myself. People kept screaming at me out of fear or anger, saying that I couldn't be in here and that I was causing the patients harm. I didn't care. I just kept my mind narrowly focused on finding Jedson. My eyes darted about the room until I found the bed that he was sitting up in. His eyes were wide in wonder as he peeked out from behind his privacy curtain, curious like everyone else as to the source of this commotion. When he saw that it was me, his face suddenly paled.

I started screaming at him as I stomped towards his bed, "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU APOLOGIZE TO ME?! I'M THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE APOLOGIZING, YOU DUMBASS! STOP TRYING TO TAKE THE BLAME FOR EVERYTHING! YOU DIDN'T DESERVE WHAT I DID TO YOU, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ANNOY ME WITH YOUR PERSISTANT AFFECTION, GOT IT?! NONE OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT; NOT THE PICTURES ONLINE, NOT THE FRESHIE QUEEN JOKES, NOT THE BULLIES OR THEIR CRUEL PRANKS, AND CERTAINLY NOT THE GOD DAMN FREEZER! SO STOP APOLOGIZING TO ME!"