~:*:~ Seventy-Six ~:*:~

Paxton

After breakfast this morning, Nate and I went to visit Jedson in the hospital. I left first so Jedson could have some private time with his friend. That was the last time I'd seen or heard from Nate today.

Of course we had different class schedules given our majors, but I assumed we'd at least meet up between for lunch or to just hang out. Nate didn't respond to my messages, and I didn't find him in our room in the evening. I tried not to take it personally, but it was hard to ignore the negative feelings when I was left on read.

I sent him one last message saying that I was going out to pick us up something to eat, hoping to trick him into responding. If he still didn't want to see me, he'd message back to say don't bother. But my message was left on read again, so I happily concluded he'd return to our room eventually to eat what I brought back.

I ran across campus to his favourite pizza place. I remembered that he was craving it the other day but was too lazy to make the hike to the location. I hadn't seen him eating it since, so he was probably still mentally drooling in anticipation. I would get him his favourite toppings and send him a picture; he'd surely race back to our room once he sees it!

After I placed the order and paid, I moved to the side to wait for it to be made. To my utter dismay, I noticed Emma and her gaggle of girls sitting at a nearby table. We made eye contact, and without pause she jumped up to abandon her friends for a more amusing interaction. She stormed towards me with a furrowed brow and hatred in her eyes. When she was properly invading my personal space, she popped her hip and crossed her arms over her chest heatedly.

"I bet you're soooo pleased with yourself, huh?! You did everything you could to steal my boyfriend away! Don't you have any shame, you little slut?! How dare you get in the middle of a committed partnership! You don't deserve to be loved by anyone. I don't think you should even call yourself Nate's friend after you ruined his love life!"

"How do you know this is my fault, you stupid bitch?!" I shot back, even though I knew that what she was saying was kind of true. "Did Nate say anything about me when the two of you broke up? NO, he didn't. So your failed relationship has nothing to do with me. Stop throwing the blame around and look in the mirror. Face it, Emma... he just didn't love you anymore!"

"I don't believe that for a second! I know you had something to do with it, even if Nate can't see that. The rumours about the two of you can't have been pulled out of thin air; there has to be some truth behind it!"

I rolled my eyes before declaring, "Nate and I weren't secretly dating while the two of you were still in a relationship, okay?! We were just friends."

She caught my slip of the tongue. "Were friends...? And what are you now?!"

I did my best to cover it up with exaggerated exasperation. "Ugh, for fuck sake! Nate and I will always be friends, alright? Why are you so fixated on a stupid rumour?! We don't like each other in that way."

She wasn't buying it. "Now that Nate and I are broken up, you're probably planning to jump his bones! Or have you already forced him to fuck you? You seem like the impatient type."

"We're not fucking! Get that through your thick head-"

"Me thinks thou protest too much..." She smirked as she mocked me.

I was so over her shit. "Nate was right to dump your crazy ass! He'll be better off in the future, no matter who he chooses to be with."

"Just you wait, Paxton! I'm going to get him back, no matter what it takes! He can't just dump me... I won't allow it! Even if I have to tie him to the bed and force him, he'll see that fucking me is the greatest joy in the world and that he was a fool to ever walk away! He'll be begging me to be his girlfriend again, declaring his everlasting love and devotion! And just when he realizes that he's nothing without me, I'll dump his ass and gladly hand him over to you. He won't give you a second glance after I'm through with him!"