~:*:~ Seventy-Four ~:*:~

Bright

I woke up late that morning.

Lately I had gotten used to Jedson's morning wake up calls, and now I was suffering the consequences of not having him around. Even when I was avoiding him after his public confession, he still took the time to knock on my door to wordlessly let me know that my breakfast was waiting in the hallway for me. By the time I got out of bed and opened the door, he was already gone. But a coffee and a to-go container were neatly tucked against the doorframe.

I should have set my alarm last night to ensure that I wasn't late for my 9am class, but I had stupidly assumed Jedson would stop by to wake me up and walk me to class as he used to do.

IDIOT. Jedson's in the hospital and you're the one that put him there! Say goodbye to his morning smile and delicious breakfast treats, because that's never bound to happen again.

I stumbled around my room grabbing my textbooks and supplies as I threw on the same clothes from yesterday. I wasn't really paying attention to my outfit, just grabbing what was already tossed on my floor so I wouldn't have to rummage through my closet. I didn't even have time to shower or brush my teeth! So I just popped a breath mint and ran my fingers through my hair to flatten any rogue stragglers that dared to stand up.

Running through campus at breakneck speed reminded me of yesterday morning, only this time it was my attendance record in jeopardy and not Jedson's life.

Just thinking about it made me want to throw up. And it didn't help that people were blatantly pointing and gossiping about me again. Some even called out to me as I ran, hoping I'd confirm the rumours that I sent Jedson to the ER. It was certainly true, but I wasn't about to pour fuel on the fire. I just wanted to keep quiet on the matter for as long as possible so things wouldn't get worse for me. Because the moment Jedson got out and told the world what happened, I'm sure people would start attacking me with more than just words and glitter paint balls. I had a feeling that his adoring fans would find a way to send me to the ER as payback.

I managed to slip into class through the back door. I was over an hour late, but at least it was just the introduction class where we went over the course manual so I didn't miss anything important. I sat down in an empty chair right by the door, grateful that I didn't cause a scene.

But my relief was premature.

"Excuse me, young man?" The professor called out as she looked my way. "Yes, YOU! The one who just walked into my class..." She looked at her watch before snorting in disbelief, "... an hour late! Don't tell me that you've been lost this entire time, because I won't believe it. Looks more like you just fell out of bed."

EVERYONE was now turned in their seats to look at the boy that the teacher was chastising. I sunk lower in my chair out of embarrassment as I unconsciously ran my fingers through my hair again.

"What is your name, boy?"

"Ummm... Bright..." I said in a low voice.

"LOUDER." She demanded.

I obliged reluctantly as people began to snicker. "My name is Bright!"

"Well Bright, I hope next time you'll be waking up BRIGHT and early for my class." She teased, as if I hadn't heard this joke before.

But of course, the entire class found it hysterical.

She went on, "Class... please remember that 'late' is not a word I tolerate or acknowledge in this class. If you are not here for attendance at the beginning of my class, I will be marking you absent. I don't care if you show up afterwards and stay for the lecture, or even if you participate... I will still mark you as absent! Your attendance counts for ten percent of your grade. That might not seem like a lot right now, but that small percentage could be the difference between a passing or failing grade! So treasure that ten percent freebee by doing something as simple as waking up on time."