~:*:~ Twelve ~:*:~

Tanner

I was too frazzled after the Sexy Bingo event to visit Layne last night. And with how busy I was with my floor leader duties and frosh activities all day today, it wasn't until the evening that I was able to confront Layne about avoiding me.

I knocked on her door carefully as to not raise suspicion. When she called out, I didn't answer. I had to make sure she opened the door.

As soon as she turned the handle and cracked the door open, I pushed my way in. I shut the door behind me so she couldn't run away again.

"Why have you been avoiding me? Please tell me the truth..."

She wasn't angry, but rather she seemed a little nervous.

"What did I do wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, Tanner! Really, it's not like that..."

"Then why are you avoiding me? What's going on?"

She sat down on the edge of her bed with a heavy sigh. I moved to her side to join her as she began, "There's just something that's happened that I don't think you'll be too happy about. I've tried to fix it, but there's honestly nothing to be done about it!"

"What's happened, Layne?"

"You see... it's about my roommate."

"Your roommate?" I suppose I was wrong to dismiss the roommate so quickly as the source of my girlfriend's distress. "What about her?"

"Well... that's the thing, really. She is not actually-"

Layne stopped as the door clicked and breezed open.

Standing in her doorway was none other than Jesse, the boy who won almost every game of Sexy Bingo.

I stood up abruptly, angered by his rude interruption. "What do you think you're doing?! You can't just barge into a girl's room!"

He smirked with amusement, clearly in on some joke that I wasn't privy too just yet. "I didn't barge in... I used a key." He holds up a key card as proof.

"Why the hell would you have that?!" I looked between Jesse and Layne, wondering if she had an explanation. I prayed that Layne's roommate had just let Jesse borrow her key so he could wait for her to return to the room. Perhaps Jesse was dating the girl, and they were going to head out soon for dinner or a movie...

But no, that was not the case. How foolish must I have seemed as I gawked at the boy in the doorway. He wordlessly pointed at the whiteboard where Layne's welcome message remained in bright, bold letters.

Welcome to Massey Residence, Layne and Jesse!

FUCK.

I was practically screeching, "THIS IS YOUR ROOMMATE?! THEY PUT YOU WITH A MAN?!"

Jesse shut the door quickly as to not disturb the neighbouring rooms. He then explained calmly, "It's a simple misunderstanding. Someone made a mistake while punching in my application information. They accidentally hit the female marker on their screen instead of the male marker, and given my name..."

Layne finished for him, "... they didn't think to correct it when assigning the rooms. They had no reason to assume that Jesse wasn't a girl."

He laughed aloud at the situation, "It's not the first time my name has caused a commotion."

I couldn't believe how relaxed he was about the whole business. "Why hasn't the residency office done anything about this yet?! How can they just let a boy and girl share a room?! It's against the rules for a reason! Not only for Layne's sake, but also for the rest of the girls on this floor! You'll have to share a bathroom with them, for heaven's sake!" I pointed an angry finger at Jesse as I continued, "I hope you haven't snuck a peak at my girl! And you better not have tried anything with her!" I turned back to Layne for answers, "Did you actually let him sleep here for the past two nights?!"