25: Ric & Jo's Wedding

Chapter Twenty Five

I sighed softly, running a hand through my hair as I made my way back into Jo's room. She was sitting on the edge of the exam table. "The doctor got the test results back. The babies are fine, you're fine. He thinks it was just–" I was in middle of speaking before she cut me off.

"An acute panic attack, brought on by stress, pregnancy, and a severe lack of food?"

I smiled, "Doctor, right. Yeah, that's basically what he said."

"What are the chances of you being an amazing maid of honor and keeping this mortifying episode to yourself? I don't want to worry Ric."

"Of course," I grinned broadly, lying through my teeth. Elena had called Ric and he was on his way here. "Why don't you get your purse and go sign your discharge papers? I'll bring the car around and meet you at the entrance."

"Okay."

I hurried out the room, pulling out my phone to call Ric. He answered quickly, "Kenzie? Where are you? What room is Jo in?"

"Don't come," I blurted tactlessly. "She's fine."

"What? I'm here," he said as I reached the elevator.

"I'll meet you out front. Just wait for me," I replied, hanging up and pressing the elevator down button repeatedly, impatient as ever. Once the doors opened, I rushed in. And then quickly made my way to a flannel wearing Ric outside the entrance. "You don't look wedding ready."

"Really?" He scoffed. "Elena's on the phone."

I looked down at the phone in his hand as he put it on speaker, holding it between us. "She's fine. She had a panic attack. It causes shortness of breath, hence her fainting. She doesn't want you to know, Ric. So you can't tell her I told you."

"As in she doesn't want to get married to me panic attack?" Ric exclaimed.

"No, as in it's her wedding day and she has two small humans growing inside her, and she can't self-medicate like you, Bourbon-Breath," I quipped, smacking him on the arm.

"Well, thank God. I mean... I saw her fall, and my first instinct was 'vamp' to her, but I couldn't, and then I saw her hit her head, and I wanted to give her vampire blood, but I couldn't," Elena shared with us.

"Wait, so are you having second thoughts?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"No, because then I thought, "What would a human do?" Kenzie took her to the hospital and it was left to the doctors to do their job, and it felt oddly empowering. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Ric smiled, looking at me.

"How amazing it feels to be human again! At first, I was worried that it might take the edge of my senses, but it's the opposite. I feel...connected to the world again. I feel..."

"Alive?" Alaric filled in.

"Yeah," my twin sighed, sounding the most content than I've ever heard anyone, ever.

"That's because your life has purpose again. It's finite, and it's... pretty much the greatest feeling in the whole world."

I winced. So my life didn't have purpose? Eye roll, okay. "You need to get out of here, Ric. I told Jo I was bringing the car around. You can't see her until the wedding," I interrupted their cute little human conversation. Ric looked at me incredulously, obviously wanting to see his fiancee, but he couldn't. "Go!"

***

I walked over to Stefan who was inside, sitting on a couch with Maverick standing on his legs. My heart nearly exploded as Stefan held him steady and made him dance. "Hi," I greeted him, walking over and taking a seat beside my husband.