17: Don't Get Mad, Get Even

Chapter Seventeen

Stefan was at the bar with Caroline, going through with his plan. I was doing my part by being nowhere around. Elena was inside looking for Bonnie who we both couldn't get in touch with. We thought maybe she left. But figured she wouldn't leave without saying goodbye. So while my twin searched inside I stood outside by one of the side exits, hoping to catch her if she did try to leave.

I stood leaning against the wall, playing iPhone games with Jeremy. I tried calling Tyler but he didn't pick up. So I left him a voicemail: "hey. I'm sorry about tonight. It was awkward. And uncomfortable... Stefan shouldn't have spoken to you like that. But, um, thanks for sticking up for me. I needed that. Uh, let's talk about this later so I can I'll fill you in on tonight, haha. Okay? Um, yeah, bye."

The door to my left burst open. By itself. I nearly dropped my phone in shock. But thankfully held onto it while Bonnie stormed out. "Bon?" I called worriedly, shoving my phone in my pocket and walking towards her. "What's wrong?"

"Him," she growled, slow tears falling as she jerked her thumb over her shoulder. I looked in the direction to see Damon and Kai standing right past the threshold. "And him."

"What happened?" I asked her as she started walking away, quickly.

"Just leave me alone, Kenzie," she said.

"No. Wait," I frowned, reaching out to grab her by her arm as she was a few steps ahead of me. I retracted my hand immediately upon touch because she burned me. "Fuck!" I hissed at my sizzling hand.

Then she took off in a jog. Oh, no. I was not running after her. Run? Disgusting. And not while she was angry. I didn't want to get burned again. "Ugh, what did you do?" I spat, looking away from my healing hand and at Damon who was finally coming outside.

"Kai wanted to apologize to Bonnie," he told me.

"As if that would fix anything," I scoffed, rolling my eyes in disbelief. Then I shot Kai a dirty look. "She is traumatized. She has been jumpy all day. I think this party was a terrible idea to bring her to. Whatever PTSD she has is probably his fault. So why would you—?"

"Kai is blackmailing me," Damon said. "Look, I'll fix this, kitten."

"You better because Bonnie is our best friend. She needs us to be there for her."

"And I will be," he promised.

"Then go," I said while narrowing my eyes on Kai still hiding in the shadows. Damon took off and I headed towards the psychopath. "What are you holding over Damon?" I questioned angrily, yanking him from inside the party to outside where he could hear me properly.

"N-Nothing," he stuttered.

"Liar," I said, letting him go.

"Kenzie, I would willingly leave this party with you. You don't have to be so rough," he smirked.

"You repulse me," I reminded him.

"Look, I was just trying to apologize to Bon for everything I had done in the prison world."

"Don't call her that."

He rolled his eyes, "I am sorry. I've changed. You know that."

"I know what you're capable of. I know how you gave me nightmares after you tortured me. I know you say you've changed. But somehow trying to force someone to forgive you, someone hurting and fragile like Bonnie who is adjusting to being alive again... doesn't sound like a good, changed man. It sounds like Kai the sociopath."