11: Twin-Napped

Chapter Eleven

I groaned, slowly opening my eyes. The room was dim but everything was blurry. Someone was rambling, my wrists were burning, and someone else was whimpered in pain. "Elena?" I gasped, focusing on the silhouette to my right. Finally my eyes were able to make my twin out.

"...See, we never went out to dinner when I was a kid, so, I always had this fascination with chefs and fine dining. Dad actually let me cook... Taught me to measure by eye. Seasonings to taste, all that stuff, but it's different now in the restaurant world. Everything's on time. It's like, the fries go in, you push a button, it dings and you take 'em out. Literally no guess work," Kai was saying when I finally turned to see who would shut the fuck up.

"Why are we here?" I asked. My voice weak and raspy. I tried to wiggle my wrist free. My hands were tied behind my back to a chair with rope it felt like, hard to tell when it was dipped in vervain and burning my flesh.

"Uh, well I spent eighteen years in abandoned restaurants and now I'm showing off the fruits of my labor," he said, continuing to eat off the plate in front of him. I looked around the empty place. My eyes catching sight of the sign that gave away the familiar setting.

"I don't mean the Mystic Grill," I sighed.

"Oh, you mean like, here here, in Mystic Fall?" He questioned before chuckling. "Sorry, I'm nervous. You're like, really pretty. Well I guess you both are. But I really like the blonde in your hair, Kenzie."

"Why are we here, Kai?" I asked again, my voice stronger due to my growing annoyance.

"Well, I took the spell that was keeping supernaturals out of Mystic Falls and I—I like absorbed it... Like ate it, I guess," he shrugged, taking another bite. "It's cool, huh? First I eat magic, and then eventually, I lose it. But a huge spell like that? I mean, come on. Magic's oozing out of me, it's all over the place. You know, I didn't quite realize I was out of control until I met the manager of the Grill a few hours ago. And he was all like, 'Hey, you can't come in here; we're closed. And you have an unconscious girl over each of your shoulders.' And then I was like, 'Don't judge me.' And then I gave him a heart attack—tried to, but all I did was make him vomit uncontrollably, which was like, ugh, let's stop that. So then I tried again and I think I broke his spine? I mean, I'm not... I'm not really sure, because the third time I tried the spell, he kinda exploded in blood. Whoops," he ranted before stopping to take a sip out of something in a mug.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Elena spoke up.

"I just told you guys, I have too much magic," he frowned. You know, it wasn't until after my test run with the manager that I realized if I start to merge with Jo and my gushing fountains of magic turn her into that guy, then I'm not gonna have a twin for the merge. So, Kenzie and Elena, that is why you are here. Because I need to get my magic under control. By practicing with you guys. Or rather, by practicing on you both."

"Are you serious?" I scoffed.

"Very," he smirked. "Oh, PS: Silver lining, after the manager finally stopped thrashing around, I finally managed a cloaking spell. It's easy to do and... undo. Phasmatos oculix."

A dead body appeared on the table and Elena gasped, scooting back in her chair. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. Then I looked back at Kai, glaring at him

"Table for four," Kai laughed. "You two had no idea."

Before I could say anything, everything started to go black again. "Ken—" I heard Elena say before she either stopped or I was knocked out again.

***

I sighed, staring up at the ceiling. My hands were tied once again. This time with chains that were attached to the ceiling. But at least I was standing up. Granted I felt like I could fall any second, my legs get like jello. "We're in my high school?" I scoffed, looking around the place while he stared into one of the trophy cases in the hall we were in.