21: Talking About Cures & Weddings

Chapter Twenty-One

"How did it go with Bonnie?" I asked Damon after he picked me up from my dorm so we could go back home, the boarding house.

"Terrible," he practically spat.

"You didn't get the ascendant? Did she have it? What happened?" I asked.

"She has it. She's destroying it."

"What? Oh, okay. Um... and you're okay with that?" I questioned as we sat still in the parking lot. Damon frowned and banged on the steering wheel making me jump. "Damon," I whispered softly.

"No, Kenzie! I'm not okay with it! But Bonnie..." he trailed off, his yelling dropping to a defeated whisper himself. I reached over and placed a hand on his flexed bicep. He was clenching the wheel still.

"Bonnie what?" I asked. I needed to know what happened. Because if Lily doesn't get the ascendant, she's destroying the cure.

"Bonnie pointed out... if I really want Elena to have the cure I would've told her. She played on my insecurities... Said take it if I wanted to watch Elena grow old... My fight for it stopped. I don't want her to take it. I don't want her to leave me. I've barely gotten her."

I nodded slowly, "then fuck it. Forget the cure. Lily can't get her friends back either. It's a win win. Elena doesn't even know."

"Kitten?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you want the cure?"

"W-what?" I stuttered. He finally let go of the steering wheel and turned his icy eyes to me. The ocean was frozen, forcing me to take this seriously. He was searching for my true answer. And I had one. I just... I was afraid to say it. Afraid to want it. "No," I whispered.

"Kenzie," he said through clenched teeth. "I've been thinking about it all damn day. You should take the cure. You want babies. You want a different life than the one you have—"

"Damon, I wanted to be a vampire. I wanted to be with Stefan. I have that—"

"Do you?" He quipped. "Where are you going to be in five years, huh? What if you guys don't work out? What happens then, Kenzie? Because I've seen you heart broken. What if there's a way to prevent that from happening, huh? Take the cure. It was always meant for you."

"But you wanted it for Elena."

"Now I want it for you."

"Damon, stop projecting," I said.

"I'm not projecting anything."

"Yes, you are. You're insecure about your relationship with my twin. Worried that if you don't work she'll regret everything, when you could've saved her the heartbreak and the misery of an eternal life. She never wanted this, and if y'all don't work, she'll hate being a vampire. But if she takes the cure, you have no chance of being together. Right or wrong?"

"Take the damn cure, Kenzie," he ordered.

"No," I spat. "Bonnie is destroying the ascendant. Let's all lose. Keep it the way things are. Let's stop trying to beat the system. Elena and I are vampires. We chose this life when we chose our guys. Okay?"

"You and Stefan can take the cure. Be human."

"How? If he takes the cure he'll age—"

"Only if the cure is taken from him. So you take it first... then he drinks from you. You're not much older than your turned age. You'll be fine."

"But, Damon," I frowned. "We can't."

"Why not?"

I stared at him, my heart breaking as his eyes were watery. "You can't live without your brother. I can't take him from you. You're the only thing he loves more than me," I said softly, taking his hand. "So I can't take it. Okay. I won't."