18: Prison World 1903

Chapter Eighteen

I slipped on one large earring after the other while Kai and Bonnie were getting ready to do the spell. It was time to head to winter 1903. And we were all dressed for the weather. Snow, the cold, and of course the northern lights.

"Damn. Crocodile Dundee called. He wants his knife back," Kai scoffed. I glanced away from my reflection in the mirror to see Bonnie was slicing her palm. I cringed. It was a huge knife.

"Yeah. You know, he's no longer a thing, and neither is that joke," Bonnie retorted and I chuckled.

"Ouch," Kai mumbled.

"Malibu Barbie, you ready?" Damon's sarcastic voice came. I moved away from the mirror, smirking at my brother-in-law who doesn't know he's my brother-in-law yet.

"The cuter I dress, the cuter I feel, the better my mood, and exactly what I need to have the confidence that this isn't one huge mistake," I quipped, adjusting my bright red and pink winter jacket on my shoulders. It was big and warm. And under it I wore a red sweater drips that had fashion rips at the collar and hem. Under that I wore black tights followed by black snow boots. Cute but prepared was the goals.

"Wet hair was a mistake," he retorted and I scowled. I had just taken another shower. Needed to kill time and clear my head. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

"Is this presentable attire by 1903 standards?" Elena joined us now, pulling on a long winter coat with a fur hood.

"Whoa. Who said you're coming?" Damon frowned.

"If Kenzie can go, I can go," she scoffed.

"Kenzie is going because someone rational and unbiased needs to decide if Lily is good enough to bring back," I told her pointedly.

"And because Lily is supposed to help bring back her boy toy," Damon said.

"Yeah. Cause powerful as I am, there's a limit to how many people one witch can transport with this spell. And I just... like Kenzie more than you," Kai added his own commentary. In return he got dirty and disgusted looks.

"Right, which is why there's two of us. We can all go. Now... Shall we?" Bonnie smiled bitterly at Kol, grabbing his hands in hers.

"Fine. Let's go get Mama," Damon sighed. Elena and I flanked Bonnie's side, placing a hand on each of her shoulders. Damon holding onto Elena so we were all joined together.

Kai began speaking Latin gibberish and a bright light started to take over. I closed my eyes, blinded. And then in a flash it was gone. And I was freezing cold.

"Well, isn't this a picturesque slice of hell?" Damon grumbled as we all opened our eyes, looking around.

"So this is Mystic Falls 1903," I mused. "Looks as boring as it does now."

Damon smirked at me. I sent him a playful wink back before taking in my snowy surroundings. The ground was cold and wet. Slushy, ice, sleet like of a mess. And it was dark. The sky was that dark midnight blue. But there were so many stars out. That was different that present day Mystic Falls.

"You guys go ahead. Kai and I will start the locator spell on the Ascendant," Bonnie said.

"But Kai just had the Ascendant. Why do we have to find another one?" Elena asked confused.

"The Ascendant can't travel between worlds, which means we gotta find its mirror image here in 1903," Kai explained.

"Page 10 on the world-jumping rule-book," Damon said sarcastically and uninterested. "Shall we?"