26: After A Lifetime, I'll See You Again

Chapter Twenty Six

Damon and I were practically racing each other to get inside the barn where they held the tragic wedding. He spent the whole ride, telling me not to do anything impulsive. I spent the whole ride ignoring him and being defiant, retorting that I would do anything I had to, to save my sister. Anything but let Bonnie die. I wasn't exactly sure where Damon stood on that subject. So I raced to save my best friend, ready to beg Kai to let both girls live normally.

Inside was a wreck. Chandeliers hung two feet on the floor or not at all. Tables and chairs turned over and broken. All the windows? Broken. Glass was everywhere along with knocked over white flower centerpieces. The only thing still intact were all the dangling fairy lights. I couldn't believe how something so beautiful could end so ugly, bloody, and just down right fucked up.

A soft groan was heard and caught both of mine and Damon's attention. "Bonnie," he gasped, rushing forward. I followed him, spotting my best friend laying on the floor. "Bonnie, hey."

"Damon, Kenzie," she mumbled weakly. Her hand was over her stomach where I'm assuming blood was pooling. Bonnie could barely turn her head to see us.

"Feed her your blood," I ordered Damon as he crouched down beside her.

"How dumb are you two?" A new voice came as Damon was rolling up his sleeve. I looked up to see Kai sitting across the room on the stage where Jo and Ric were saying their vows. "I deliver you guys a dying Bonnie Benner on a silver platter and, woosh... right over both of your heads."

"Damon," Bonnie called out.

"Translation, she's about to croak," Kai continued to taunt Damon.

I flashed over in front of the siphon brat. I yanked him to his feet, glaring, "Undo the damn spell, Kai," I ordered. He had the nerve to smirk at me. "Undo it!"

"What's in it for me?" Kai asked.

"What do you want?"

"Can you heal my werewolf bite?"

I clenched my teeth, "No."

"Then what can you offer me?" Kai scoffed.

"Trade my life for Elena's," I said.

Kai raised a brow, "Now that's interesting. I heard you were the selfish twin."

"Kenzie, what the hell are you doing?" Damon asked.

I ignored him, but Kai didn't. "You don't have to help her. You could walk away. And then both of the twins can live," he told Damon who was still crouched beside Bonnie.

"Damon, save Bonnie!" I shouted. Kai grinned deviously before placing his hands on my arms holding him. My skin started to sizzle and I had to let him go. "Ow, fuck."

"Bonnie dies of a collapsed lung, no blood on your hands. You and Elena get to live the life you dreamed. Or keep Elena and Bonnie, let Kenzie rest for a lifetime. You could finally get back at your brother by making him miserable for the next 60 to 80 years. It's your decision, Damon. Either way, you better act quick," Kai taunted.

"Damon, let me go," I begged him, ready to walk towards him but suddenly I couldn't move. Kai was holding his hand out to me so I was frozen. I couldn't save Bonnie myself. Damon was hovering over her, his hand in hers. He looked at me, staring hard with his thinking face. "I'm a vampire. I have forever when I wake up. Stefan will be okay."

"What about Elena? You think she'd want this? And what about Maverick—?"

"He needs his mother," I cut him off. "That's why I'm doing this."