20: Vampire Proof B&B

Chapter Twenty

Damon smirked and waved at me as I dragged my feet over to where he sat on a bench. We were meeting outside of a bar. I needed a drink. I wasn't ready to face Stefan and talk. However, I did decide what I was going to do.

"Hi, kitten," Damon greeted as I plopped down beside him. He reached up, throwing an arm over my shoulders so I leaned into him. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Tired, scared, hopeless... should I continue?" I asked while turning to look up at him.

"I can't believe you married my brother."

"Drunk. On thanksgiving," I informed him.

"What?" Damon gasped before laughing so deeply, it scared me. His arm dropped from around me and he leaned forward nearly choking for air now. I rolled my eyes, deciding to tell him everything.

"You left, he came, I got him wasted, he proposed beautifully and said let's get out of here. So we did. Jer was our witness. Then I woke up puking and hungover," I said, elbowing him as he laughed. And laughed... And laughed. "It's not funny."

"That is so... romantic," he coughed out between chuckles as he tried to calm himself.

"Oh, shut up," I snorted.

"You really want a divorce?" He asked me once he sobered up. He wasn't smiling teasingly anymore but he didn't have that completely serious look on his face. This was genuine curiosity.

"I'm sick of your brother," I stated. "I'm mad at him. I'm hurt. I'm exasperated with all this back and forward bullshit. But..."

"But?" Damon started to smile then.

"But I love him. I think I'll always love him. And I do want to be his wife... However I'm terrified that if we give our marriage a real shot, that maybe it still won't work. What if we're not meant to be? What if marriage is too much for us? That's a lifelong commitment. And we're vampires. That's eternity. And I on a whim just demanded a divorce like we were actually 17 year olds breaking up over a cheating scandal."

"That's marriage though, kitten. There's no guarantee that you guys will make it forever. Or that it'll be easy."

"I know," I said. "That's why I'm going to give it a shot. Stefan and I have been through hell these couple of years just trying to be together or find our way back to each other. It can't all be for nothing. We've both fucked up, we've both had an affair. I'm ready to start over. I just want my fucking man."

Damon grinned, hugging me. "That means you're not leaving town," he sang.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm staying," I said, shoving him away playfully. "But before I go make up with your brother. What have I missed in the last couple of hours?"

"Well, Matt lives to hate vampires another day. He wouldn't let Elena feed him her blood either. And he said something to her about hating vampires so he can't take their help like a hypocrite."

"I'll deal with him later," I sighed.

"And your husband," he emphasized, "is on Caroline duty, he's working on a plan to get her humanity back on. I tried to give him a night to soak in his guilt and misery. He said he didn't need a night, he needed his wife. And I pointed out that was too damn bad. So he's making himself useful."

"Oh, my god," I laughed, nudging him.

"Yup, the love birds are back," he sighed dramatically. "You want to scold me for hurting his precious little feelings and pride, don't you?"

"Kind of," I admitted, blushing.

"Don't like anyone being mean to your broody baby, huh?" He smirked.