10: Holidays & Hospitals

Chapter Ten

I smiled as I woke up with the sun beaming in my face. I rolled over to come face to face with—nothing. I sat up, looking around my dorm. "Stefan?" I called out. I glanced again, our mess of take out food had been cleaned up. So he just left?

I grabbed my phone on my nightstand, checking all zero messages. What the hell, Stefan? Who comes over uninvited with dinner? Flirts with a girl all night, stays for a movie, cuddles her and then leaves without a word so she wakes up alone? Oh, yeah. My friggin husband.

I hadn't spoken to him in a week until he showed up last night. The only thing we even talked about over delicious Thai food was saving Bonnie and Kai being on the loose. And how Kai was MIA probably because he was plotting everyone's demise while getting used to the 21st century.

Our only other conversation was three days after we has kissed... and kissed. It was a terribly awkward texting situation though. Nothing but small talk. It
turns out he left me that day to go back to Atlanta, which where he was when he finally decided to reach out to me. And that was the only interesting thing we talked about. He was only in Atlanta to finally finish Damon's car, which was going to be Damon's Christmas present. He told me he was getting the blue Camaro shipped to Mystic Falls because he couldn't drive both cars back. Cue dry laugh. So yeah, that's what he had to talk about. And I didn't say anything of my own until I said I had to go to work to put in volunteer hours at the hospital. Since then it was radio silence until he showed up yesterday at my dorm room at 7pm. We've officially been married for... eleven days as of today, and we've made no progress in the last ten.

***

I let myself into Elena's house, pausing when I saw Damon at her dining room table. I held back a chuckle as I realized he was sleeping. A bunch of books spread out in front of him.

I walked over to the table, putting my own finished books down. Then I crossed my arms, staring at Damon's back wondering if I should wake him or just leave. I had a few things I wanted to do today. I could talk to him and Elena later. Hmmm. Maybe I'll wake her.

"Are you watching me sleep?" Damon asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"No. I'm watching you drool all over Ric's textbooks, and considering you're already on his bad side..." I trailed off teasingly.

"I don't drool," he said and I scoffed. He sat up, turning to look at me and wiped his mouth of said drool. "Hmm. Oh, well... What time is it?"

"Time for Ric to get a new reference library," I stated. "I read the two books I assigned to me. Did you finish yours?"

"Book five," he said.

"Oooh. Over achiever," I smirked. I went into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. "Want coffee?"

"With bourbon."

"Does Elena have any bourbon here?"

"I brought some last night when I came over with more books. It's in the cabinet closest to the fridge," he told me and I nodded.

"Gotcha. You take cream and sugar right?"

"I'm a sane person, aren't I?" He smirked, ruffling his messy dark locks as I shot him a pointed look.

"Morning," Elena croaked. We both looked to see her coming into the room with Maverick. She looked exhausted and like she was sleep walking. She was in grey pajama pants with ducks and a black t-shirt that suspiciously looked like it belonged to Damon. I glanced at him briefly and he caught my eye. He shook his head as if answering my question and I squinted at him, unsure if I believed him.