12: Life's Too Short

Chapter Twelve

I pressed my lips together, staring at the empty side of the bed. I slowly sat up and looked around the room. The shower wasn't running. Maybe he was making us breakfast. Yeah, probably. I mean... before I got kidnapped we agreed to stay in bed together and he promised to stay till the morning. I don't see why last night wouldn't apply to the same rules. I had a terrible day yesterday and a breakdown in the middle of the night, but it was still kind of our do-over night, right?

I heard a loud slam and I jumped. Was that the front door? I rushed out of bed, leaving Stefan's room and heading for the stairs. "Where the hell do you think you're going?" Damon asked angrily.

"Caroline has an emergency I have to go help her deal with," I heard Stefan's voice and I froze at the top of the staircase.

My jaw dropped as my chest tightened. He was leaving me? Again. I shouldn't be surprised. He left for months. He left for her last time. He clearly didn't want to stay with me. I mean, why else didn't  he ever just wake me and tell me he had to go?

"I don't care," Damon snapped. "You need to get back in bed with your fiancée. She wants to wake up to your face—god knows why—and I will not let you disappoint her."

"I'll be right back. If you would just move, I could go and be back before she even wakes," Stefan said and I scowled, still eavesdropping.

"I'm not taking that chance, Stef. If she wakes up alone she will be heartbroken. Haven't you caused her enough pain?"

"Look, you have no idea what she and I are going through right now—"

"And you have no idea how bad she's hurting! You weren't the one holding her while she cried all night. You didn't see her face when I saved her yesterday, she was torn apart when she looked around and saw everyone else there but you," Damon cut him off, raising his voice with every sentence. "She needs you, Stefan. You clearly have no idea how much she loves you or you wouldn't be treating her like this. I mean, the girl was smiling brighter than the sun when she said you guys kissed two weeks ago... I'm serious, brother. If she finds out you left her for Caroline... You'll destroy her. And your relationship. I think she's out of second chances for you, Stefan."

"Damon, I know," Stefan said. "I feel like shit. I know that I've fucked up. And I'm trying to fix things. The last thing I want to do right now is leave her. Okay? I wouldn't be going right now if it wasn't a matter of life and death. So please, just get out of my way. I need to handle this and then I'll make it up to Kenzie. I swear."

"Then go tell her that! Wake her up and tell her that! She's been wanting to wake up to you for six months now!" Damon yelled and I winced.

I wiped the tears that escaped my eyes and I made my way quietly down the stairs. "And I swear after today that she will, every day for the rest of our lives. Okay? I have to go though," Stefan said.

"Over my dead body, St—"

"Let him go, Damon," I spoke up. They both turned to see me at the end of the hall while they hovered close to the front door. Damon blocking the exit.

"Kenz," Stefan said softly. Then he sighed, running a hand down his face. "Um, babe, I can explain."

"I'm sorry," Damon told me before walking away. I stared at Stefan who looked guilty and like I was the one causing him pain.

"Just go, Stefan. No need to explain. I heard every word. And I completely understand that you have an emergency to take care of. It's fine, I have to go back to my dorm and get ready for volunteer hours at the hospital," I said, keeping brave face.