Chapter 2 - With a Demon by His Side

A month slowly passed by, and every day was the same. Never got easier in any way. I went to live with my Aunt Red, her being my closest living family. And although I have her, I've never been so lonely in my life. Every day I go to the same place. I walk past our mansion, nothing more than a pile of burnt rubble now, and I head to the graveyard.

Zuli (14): "'Vincent and Rachel Phantomhive and their ten year old son, Ciel. Killed in tragic fire... December 14th 1885'... Mother, father, baby brother... I miss you all so much... I know I say the same thing every day... but I'm sorry... I'm so... so sorry..."

I buried my face in my hands, as I started sobbing.

Zuli: "I don't know what to do! I'm so lonely! Why... why did this happen... It's not fair!"

Despite how often I find myself crying, I've never run out of tears. It was exhausting, but I couldn't stop them once they started.

Zuli: "Why did I have to be the only one left...?"

I stayed there for most of the day, not knowing what else to do. I felt so lost without them. It was quiet until sometime in the afternoon...

???: "This is it. It is badly damaged... My lord?"

I heard a voice I didn't recognise behind me, but I didn't take any notice of it. Until something broke me out of my sorrowful trance... a voice I did recognise and thought I'd never hear again.

Ciel (10): "Zu...li...?"

I froze. Surely, I was hearing things. Because it couldn't have been. I turned around slowly.

Zuli: "Ciel...?"

Zuli & Ciel: "You're alive...?"

I fell to my knees hardly believing it. As he stood their staring, a man who appeared to be a butler came up behind him and glanced at me as I stared teary eyed back at my brother.

???: "Are you alright, young lord? Who is this?"

Ciel: "My... sister... I thought-"

Zuli: "Ciel... is that really you? I... I'm not seeing ghosts, am I?"

Tears filled his eyes, and he ran up and threw his arms around me, burying his face in my shoulder.

Ciel: "Zuliii!"

As I returned my brother's shaky embrace, it finally set in that this was real.

Zuli: "Oh, Ciel... It's okay! I'm right here, baby brother... shhh... I've got you..."

I was trying to calm him down, but that was difficult when I was sobbing just as much. But this time, I was happy. Ciel was home and safe in my arms after thinking for this past month he was dead. When his crying had slowed down, I held his shoulders and gently stood up with him.

Zuli: "Here, let me look at you."

I wiped his cheeks and stroked his hair. It felt like it hadn't been washed in at least a couple weeks. He had a lot of little injuries, and his eye was bandaged up like mine.

Zuli: "Oh no..."

He put his hand on my arm.

Ciel: "It looks worse than it is. I promise... but... Zuli, your eye."

I tried to reassure him with a little smile.

Zuli: "I'll be okay. Don't worry about me."