Chapter 25 - When the Denial Ends

Next thing I knew, I was lying on the pier we came from. My brother was lying unresponsive in the boat, and I looked up to see Sebastian standing over the two of us.

Sebastian: "So you're awake now. Good. In that case, we'll be taking our leave now."

Zuli: "W-wait... Sebastian!"

My voice was hoarse, and my breathing laboured, having nearly downed. And I was tired too.

Sebastian: "What is it now?"

Zuli: "Why... why did you... save me?"

Sebastian: "My master's final order."

Zuli: "What does-?"

Sebastian: "I'm sorry, I can't say more on the matter. Just know your brother wanted you to live."

I tried to catch my breath as I glanced up at the Tower Bridge. But I flinched to see the crumpled silhouette of a feather winged being.

Zuli: "Is that... the angel?"

Sebastian: "Yes. Don't be afraid, it's dead now. The angel has completed it. Now the bridge truly is holy... And with that, it's time for us to depart."

Knowing immediately what he meant, I grabbed his ankle tight, causing him to stop.

Zuli: "Don't you dare take another step near him..."

Sebastian: "Zuli, we talked about coming between a demon and his prey."

Zuli: "That's my little brother... I won't let you take him!"

Sebastian: "Don't make me break your arm."

Zuli: "Break every bone in my damn body, I don't care! I won't beg for my life... but he's just a boy, he deserves to live!"

Sebastian: "And you don't?"

Zuli: "You won't take me... I'm useless to you... But I vowed to protect my family until my final breath... and that's just what I'll do!"

Sebastian: "You've fought valiantly, but you're still only human... It's time to give in, Zuli."

Zuli: "Never... If you want my brother's soul... you're going to have to KILL ME FIRST, DEMON-!"

He crouched down, grabbing my hand around his ankle. And with his other, he held my face, making me look up into his fierce glowing eyes.

Sebastian: "The only reason you're alive is because my master made me swear not kill you ever. Otherwise I would have done so by now."

I couldn't say anything. That look, that tone... It spiked fear through my body.

Sebastian: "Release my leg. I won't ask again."

It was either my fear or stubbornness, but I didn't move. All I did was stare into his glowing eyes, shaking. Panic raced through me as he clutched two of my fingers and snapped them. I screamed and pulled away, letting him go. He stood nonchalantly and walked to the boat.

Sebastian: "So sorry I had to do that. As compensation, I'll leave you a parting gift. Farewell, Zuli Phantomhive."

I clutched my hand with two broken fingers, looking up through blurred, tearful eyes to see him push off from the pier.

Zuli: "Ciel... no, stop... Give back my brother, you bastard!"

He didn't even look back at me as he rowed my brother through the fallen angel's bridge.