Chapter 26 - Always and Forever

The next day, the servants were getting ready to go to town. I offered to go with them, but they were firm about me staying at the cottage where it was safe.

Zuli: "Alright, if you're so insistent... Just do me a favour then."

Mey-Rin: "What's that, miss?"

Zuli: "Wait here a moment..."

I went to search for three hooded cloaks I'd found in my room before coming back and handing one to each of them.

Zuli: "Wear those."

Bard: "Okay, but... why?"

I remembered what happened at Buckingham Palace and figured us Phantomhives weren't very favoured at the moment.

Zuli: "There is a high chance... Ciel and I are wanted for high treason."

Bard, Finni & Mey-Rin: "WHAT?!"

Zuli: "It doesn't matter..."

Bard: "Begging your pardon, miss, but I think it does! I mean, treason? How did that happen?"

Zuli: "Some think we... killed the queen. But believe me when I say we didn't!"

Their expressions were still shocked, not understanding.

Zuli: "The point is, anyone who knows us, knows you too. So put those hoods on."

Bard, Finni & Mey-Rin: "Yes, miss..."

Zuli: "You three come back safe."

So they left and I stayed at the cottage with Pluto and the baby. I was in the washroom, bathing the baby as he splashed and giggled.

Zuli: "You're a lot happier now, aren't you little mister?"

His playful grin reminded me of my brother when he was small.

Zuli: "To be a baby... so small, innocent... oblivious to the evils of the world..."

Pluto meanwhile laid on the floor by the door, grumbling at me.

Zuli: "Now Pluto, don't be jealous. He won't be with us for much longer."

He tilted his head at me.

Zuli: "I'll take him somewhere he can find a better home. Though... I wonder what it would be like to be a mother... I suppose I'll find out one day..."

I shook off such a silly thought and drained the bathwater.

Zuli: "Pluto, could you go fetch a towel for me please?"

Pluto: "Rarf!"

He left and returned shortly after with a towel in his mouth.

Zuli: "Thanks, boy."

I headed to the kitchen with the swaddled baby in my arms, took the bottle from the stove and wandered to my bedroom.

Zuli: "Ridiculous... how could I even think of one day bringing new life into this world... when I can't even protect the lives who were here already..."

I sat on my bed trying to bottle feed the baby.

Zuli: "Come on, little one. You need your nutrients."

He was fussing, not wanting to take it.

Zuli: "I know it's not the same as your mother's milk, but it's all I have. *sigh* Am I doing this wrong? Maybe it's not warm enough..."