Chapter 20 - Zuli in Wonderland

One night, in Ciel's room, I sat in a chair, staring into space as I slowly brushed my long wavy hair and Sebastian was helping Ciel get ready for bed. When he was done...

Ciel: "Sebastian... leave us."

Sebastian: "Yes. Good night, master, my lady."

He left.

Ciel: "Zuli... have you not been sleeping well?"

I looked over at him, a little taken aback by the question.

Zuli: "Why do you ask?"

Ciel: "I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong..."

Zuli: "I-it's... nothing, really..."

Ciel: "You stutter when you lie."

Zuli: "I do not!"

Ciel: "It is something and keeping it to yourself won't help anyone."

Zuli: "......"

Ciel: "It's been a week since we killed Angela and destroyed the abbey."

Zuli: "I know, I was there... A week since I came this close to losing you again... twice..."

Ciel: "Well it turned out she wasn't the one who killed mother and father-"

Zuli: "And if she had been?"

Ciel: "......"

Zuli: "That've been it..."

Ciel: "......"

Zuli: "*sigh* It doesn't matter... It's done... I don't ever want to hear about any of that again."

Ciel: "Fine... But your smile..."

Zuli: "What about it?"

Ciel: "It's gone. I... haven't seen it once..."

Zuli: "What are you talking about? I smile all the time. And I don't think you have any room to talk, Mr Forgot-How-to-Smile."

Ciel: "Well, your different! Your smile... it's important... and when I can't see it... I know you, Zuli. Something deeper than what happened has taken it away..."

I didn't know what to say. He was right. There was no hiding the fact that ever since we came home from Preston, I just haven't felt like smiling.

Zuli: "I'm sorry."

Ciel: "Don't apologise, tell me what's going on so I can help. And you can try and hide it all you want, but I know you haven't been sleeping well either."

I turned away from him.

Ciel: "I'm not the only one who's noticed, you know."

Zuli: "... Don't bring the servants into this."

Ciel: "Zuli, I'm worried about you! This... this isn't you..."

I put my hairbrush on the dresser, stood up and walked over to my brother and cupped his face.

Zuli: "I'm okay... I promise."

Ciel: "Zuli..."

I kissed his head.

Zuli: "Goodnight, baby brother... I love you."

Ciel: "... I love you too..."