Chapter 6

"Who was he?" You ask the older brunette, her eyes still boring into the door that the man just left out of.
She turns to you after a moment.
"That was Mr Gold." She sighs. "He owns a collection of properties in m- this town." She smiles politely. "And a shop."
"What kind of shop?" You question.
"A shop full of junk."
"Oh." You hold back a snicker at this woman's clear distaste for the man. "I can tell he's not so popular."
"Well, he's not quite at my grade, dear." She quips, an undertone of disappointment.
"Really? In my books... I'd say you're pretty up there." You lighten the mood.
"I beg your pardon?" She questions in disbelief.
"You've been welcoming to me, so far. I like you." You cooly announce, though you know you do have a crush on this woman- she'll never know.
"You like me?" She practically chokes in disbelief, though she hides it behind her formal poise well.
"I do." You reassure as you sit in the chair opposite her desk. "Now-" you exhale. "What about my introduction to the town?" You grin, a chuckle escaping your lips as you do so.
For the first time ever, you see a genuine smile grace Regina's perfectly sculpted red lips.
It's the smallest remnant of a smile... but a smile nonetheless.
And the way the validation gets your heart racing faster, is not a good sign.
"If you just let me finish up the remnants of paperwork layed out before me, I'll be ready to introduce you."
"Of course." You smile at the woman.
Suddenly becoming nervous when you see her pull out a pair of glasses and sit them on her already beautiful face.
Damn.
Your eyes divert immediately and you begin observing whatever else you can in the room.
They drift toward a series of books, most in a language you don't know- Latin, you assume. And a series of trinkets, such as a small gold-plated box and a beautiful crystal apple sitting next to it.
Your feet then carry yourself over to a large statue of a horse, taking pride of place above the fireplace.
You turn to ask her a question but are taken by surprise as you see her eyes already on you. You fail to notice her own fluster as you try to hide your blush at the realisation.
"Do you ride?" You ask curiously, breaking through the moment.
She was probably just making sure you didn't touch anything- you conclude to yourself.
"I used to." She casually and ambiguously responds.
"I think horses are my favourite animal." You muse, admiring the statue once again and too intimidated to look at her.
"Me too." She responds gently, after a moment.
"I always wanted one of my own but my parents would never allow me." You turn back to her, walking toward the desk where you started.
"Oh?" She keeps her head in her work. "Mary-Margaret and David?"
"Yes." You smile, waiting for her to look at you, though she doesn't yet. "You know them well?"
She finally looks up.
"Not particularly, dear. I know of them." She concludes.
"I don't think you'd get on very well." You chuckle, knowing how your Mother's positive attitude would not mesh well with Regina.
"Why would you say that?" She gives you her full attention.
"They can be very overwhelming positive." You smirk. "I love them very much, but, Emma and I sometimes just want them to shut up."
The older brunette doesn't say anything, she merely smirks; observing you.
"I see." She's amused. The feeling of vulnerability washes over you again as you suddenly become conscience of the Mayor's dark eyes on you. "Why have I not seen you in town before?" She asks curiously.
"I don't know." You sigh. "I've been away at college and kinda doing my own thing." You slowly walk back to her desk. "My parents have been here as long as I remember, but Emma and I never lived here." You shrug, your brain becoming foggy as you go over the details.
"And now you're all here." She announces, her voice passive.
"Reunited, I suppose." You smile.
She shoots one back, a false one.
A ring-tone sharply interrupts the two of you and you step back as Regina answers, feeling like an invasion of privacy.
"Madame Mayor speaking." She rolls her eyes. A few expressions cross her face and you can tell she's not happy. "Mrs Blanchard, can't you take care of it? I am too busy to leave my office." She sighs in annoyance. Another brief pause. "I suppose I'll have to, won't I?" She hangs up before another word and stands for a moment, clearly stressed.
"Everything okay?" You approach carefully.
"Henry has a mild concussion." She looks at you. "I have to go and get him from school and I just don't have the time." She begins packing away.
"I can do it." You abruptly answer.
She stops in her tracks.
"Don't be ridiculous, Miss Swan, I would never expect you to do such a thing-"
"I don't mind." You stop her. "I can take care of him for the day. I've been meaning to talk to him." You shrug. "And if you're at all uncomfortable with it I can always bring him here? Under your supervision."
"Your mother claims he has to be at home." She rolls her eyes once again.
You giggle, much to her surprise.
"Can you work from home?" You ask sweetly. "I don't want to be intruding in your home without you there."
A small moment of silence occurs as she considers you.
"You're quite the opposite of your sister, aren't you, dear?" She squints her eyes slightly.
"In many ways." You smirk back at the unsure brunette.