Chapter 13

"This is a beautiful picture." You lightly skim the frame of a photo with your finger.
"That was Henry's 10th birthday." Regina emerges behind you. "He didn't want to take it."
You smile softly at the picture, chuckling under your breath.
"Can I ask you about the adoption process?" You turn to face the woman, who's now sat on the couch; regally.
"You're wanting a child?" She smirks playfully.
"No-" you chuckle. "I'm just curious about the whole process with Emma." You realise you may have overstepped. "Actually, don't worry it's not appropriate- really." You shake your head.
Regina gently pats the space next to her.
"Nonsense."
You oblige and sit, trying desperately to keep eye contact, though her stare makes you melt.
"Henry was born on August 15th 2001... in prison." Regina begins.
"Emma was 18?"
"Yes."
You take a deep breath, still so shaken that she never told you any of it.
"Henry was immediately taken for adoption. It was closed... or so I was told." Her lips pursed together again- as she does when she's annoyed.
It's something you've noticed.
"I wasn't really sure what I was doing, adopting a child..." Regina admits. "But I wanted someone to care for."
Your heart breaks at that moment.
"I met Henry and melted. I knew I had never felt this feeling before. The love and lengths I knew I would go to for this boy was endless. It is endless."
You smile gently at that, allowing her to carry on without interruption.
"He's my rock and he has been ever since we set foot back in that front door." She smiles to herself, remembering. "Everything was fine until he had been given a book- the book." She corrects. "By your Mother."
You frown.
"He became fascinated by these character stories and convinced himself that they were real. That they were us!" She pauses for a moment. "He ran away and did the same thing he did to you, to Emma. It worked." Regina rolls her eyes. "She caused some trouble for me. Accusing me of not loving my son and that she was his mother."
"I'm so sorry, Regina." Your heart aches for the woman.
What could she have ever done that would warrant all this?
"It's not your fault, dear." She attempts a smile.
"But what are the chances that Henry's 'birth-grand-parents' live in the same town as you?" You gawk, perplexed by the notion.
"Quite the coincidence." She purses her lips again.
"Will you ever tell me?" You ask, a sudden surge of alcoholic confidence. You turn your body to look up at the ceiling, relaxing into the couch.
"What, Miss Swan?" Regina looks at you endearingly.
You turn your head to look at her and can't help but grin when you see her face.
"About you."
"Why do you think I'm so interesting?" She leans in closer to you.
"I don't think. I know you are." You turn your body to face her again, still sunken into the cushion.
"You're most unusual, dear." She twists her lips in an attempt to hide a smile.
"You didn't answer my question."
"I don't think you leave me much choice." She smiles now.
You observe her face, each detail of beauty and don't care that she can see you doing so.
You meet her eyes and break out into a grin.
She's beautiful and whatever is going on here is making you happy.
"What are you thinking?" She leans in slightly closer to you.
You smile, though your heart pounds in your chest.
"Isn't it obvious?" You gently respond.
Her hand reaches out once again and tucks a strand of hair behind your ear.
"I can't read your mind, dear." She smiles softly, retracting her hand.
"It's funny-" you begin. "I feel so... like I've met you before; even though I haven't."
The older brunette just looks at you for a moment.
"I would remember meeting you." Regina responds.
You blush, not being able to hide your smile.
"Are you flirting with me, Madame Mayor?" You feign shock, grinning at the woman.
She twists her lips and rolls her eyes, a smile coming through.
"Is that what you want?" Her eyes darken slightly and your heart races once again in your chest.
"Very much so." Your eyes flick to her lips and get caught on the scar.
So perfectly placed.
You hear the words 'can I kiss you' in your head but you can't bring your mouth to say it.
Your eyes flick back up to Regina's and you notice her eyes staring at your features.
You pray that she's going to kiss you but she doesn't move.
She just looks at you. Takes you in.
"I envy you." She finally says.
"Why?" You softly respond, wanting to reach out to touch her but again, you can't bring yourself to do so.
"You have your whole life ahead of you." She looks distant.
"You act as if you're 90, Regina." You roll your eyes.
"You have every opportunity at your fingertips. You can do what you desire and have everything ahead of you."
"You have regrets?" You read between the lines, approaching the subject gently.
She scoffs.
"Many." She shakes her head.
"Something that changed my perspective on that is..." you begin. "You have to realise that everyone is doing the best they can, with what they know and have experienced. It can help you see the best in people but also to not be so hard on yourself. Whatever you did, you were doing your best to navigate life at the time and it's not your fault. You should be proud of yourself for getting this far, whatever happened in the past." You shrug. "From an outside perspective, you have Henry, a beautiful home and a great job. You've done pretty well to get to where you are."
Regina just stops and looks at you, emotion and disbelief on her face.
No one's ever spoken to her like this before and that realisation breaks your heart.
"You see the best in me?"
"I see the best in what you are." You conclude. "Well- what you are with me, anyway. I don't know if you're different with others."
"It's different with you." She clarifies.