Chapter 25

"How was your first night at Roni's, then?" You observe how Roni walks with more of a swagger than Regina.
"I loved it." You smile. "Even with the injuries."
"I'm glad." She nods.
"How'd you come to own the best bar in the middle of nowhere?" You chuckle.
"It was always something I'd wanted to do." She grins at you. "And Hyperion Heights just came up at the perfect time."
"It's really nice. It suits you."
"Thank you."
"And thank you, for the job, too."
"Oh, it's no problem. I'll make a fine bartender of you yet."
You laugh with her.
She's nice; but you can't help but miss your Regina.
You just wish you could hold her right now.
"Did you wanna come in? I'm sure I can make you a drink or something."
"As long as you've got something strong, I won't say no to a drink."
"Come on." You chuckle as you lead her up the stairs to your apartment.

"I guess Mary-Margaret and everyone are still out." You exhale as you throw your keys on the side. You watch Roni as she takes her in surroundings, thumbs in her back pockets.
"So." You take off your jacket. "We've got a bottle of JD?"
"Sounds perfect." She nods.
"On the rocks?" You call out.
"Oh look at you, knowing the lingo."
You laugh a little too hard.
"I'm trying to impress, okay?" You retort.
"Oh, you are?" She raises an eyebrow. Her signature smirk coming out. You didn't mean for it to sound flirty but somehow the tone has changed. "Ice is great." She nods.

"Cheers." You cheers your glasses together and you try to keep eye contact as you sip but she makes it so damn difficult.
"That's good." She purses her lips slightly. "Your apartment's cute." She chuckles.
"Shut up." You grin. "It's mostly Mary-Margaret's taste." You watch her for a moment, admiring how she sips her drink and fully taking in this new version of Regina.
"What?" She looks at you wide-eyed, as if there's a bug on her.
"Nothing." You chuckle in an attempt to hide your blush. "Are you sure you'll be alright to walk home?" You ask her with genuine concern.
"Oh don't you worry, you have no idea what I'm capable of." Chills run down your spine in that moment but you remain passive. "The one thing I do need from you is your number. Just so I can put it down in the books. Also, I can always call you if I get kidnapped on my way home."
"That's not funny." You scold her lightly.
"I guess I'll have to train you on the bar before I can allow that to happen." She nudges you slightly and you laugh once again.

You write your number down in her phone and can't help the butterflies swarming as you feel her body near yours.
This woman is gonna take some getting used to.

You wake up to the sound of silence. No movement in the apartment.
Checking your phone you notice a text before you see the time.
It's from Mary-Margaret.
Stayed over August's last night. I'll be back later today.
Ew.
That is gross.
Where the hell is dad during all of this?
I guess Gold wanted to keep them apart too, true love's kiss can't come from all of us.
It's 12pm.
That means you've got 2 hours until you have to be at Roni's.
You want to make an effort and impress her.
After all, she's got to fall in love with you if you're to have any hope of getting out of here.

You knock on the door, waiting anxiously for the brunette to answer.
"You're on time. First test passed." She jokes as she lets you in.
"Good." You answer eagerly.
"The table's are ready to be wiped." She points as she begins back behind the counter.

"So, tell me about yourself Ivy?" Roni asks thoughtfully.
"Uh-" you chuckle nervously. "My name's Ivy Swan. I'm 22. I have an older sister called Emma. And I went to school in New York. I grew up in a town called Storybrooke." You hope that this jogs a memory somewhere deep in her mind.
"Tell me the interesting stuff." She stops and rests her arms on the bar top. "I wanna know what's beneath the surface." She teases playfully.
Guess not.
You smile at her, unsure of what to say at first and feeling your heart rate pick up speed.
"Uh- I don't know what I'm doing or what's going on half of the time. I grew up pretty alone so I'm fairly independent. Honestly... I think this town is boring and you and your bar are probably the most interesting thing about it."
She just smirks.
"You do?"
"I do." You chuckle awkwardly. "And I also hate beer."
"Just know I wouldn't have offered you the job if I thought you were just another boring customer." She squeezes your arm gently as she walks past you. "But the beer thing might be an issue." She teases.
Your heart leaps.
"What else do you want me to do?"
"I'm gonna show you how to roll a keg of beer!" She calls back.
"How sweet." You mutter.
"I heard that."

"Okay, now imagine I'm a customer and I'm ordering a drink." Roni sits at the bar.
"Okay."
"Hey lady can I get your number?"
You laugh a little too loud.
"That's not a drink." You tease.
"And you think customer's aren't going to act this way?" She raises an eyebrow, a grin on her face.
"No, you cannot. But I can get you a drink, sir."
"Sir?" She gawks.
"I thought you were being a man!"
"And why's that?" She laughs.
"Because you were being creepy."
"Women can hit on women, believe it or not." She quips.
"Oh, I know." You respond a little too fast, surprise flashing over the brunette's face. "Fine." You change the subject. "Maybe you can, ma'am, but you'll have to buy a drink if you wanna keep talking."
"You're not supposed to flirt with the customers." Roni rolls her eyes.
"Why not? I thought we were trying to sell drinks." You laugh.
"We're selling drinks not ourselves." She chuckles at you. "I will not let you flirt with creepy customers."
"Jealous?" You sass.
"Just make me a double rum and Coke." She batts you away.
"Ice?"
"Yea." She sits back in her chair, watching you nervously make the drink.
You slide it across and she sips.
"Not bad. Now shots."
"Of what?"
"Tequila." You go to grab a shot glass. "No. Get the pint glass."
"A pint of tequila?" You wince.
"No. I need you to get the measurements right. It's 3 seconds once you pour it in and then you stop."
You begin to pour and do too much.
"Shit. Sorry."
Roni comes behind the counter.
"I'll get you into the rhythm of it."
She stands behind you and holds the bottle on top of your hand.
You feel her body on yours and forget what's even going on.
"So, up like this..." she leads your hand up and back down. "And then down."
"Thanks."
"You're all set."