Chapter 10

"Where the hell have you been honey? It's freezing out there!" Your mother engulfs you into a hug.
"I was at Granny's, Mom. At my guest room in the inn." You lie, knowing you don't want to explain your relationship with Regina.
Or lack thereof.
"Well, I'm glad you decided to join us." She takes off your coat. "David was just putting on a movie."
"No! Not that one!" Emma protests.
You roll your eyes toward your mother and she chuckles.
"What's the movie?" You fall into the couch beside them and help them choose.
Scarface.
The best.
Your mother goes to bed quickly after it starting, disapproving of the drug and gun usage within the film.
Looking at your phone, you see zero messages.  And the time is 12am.
"You guys, it's getting late and I should head back to Granny's." You get up slowly, showing just how tired you are.
"Can you walk me?" You ask your father.
"This isn't Boston, sis."
"Hey, I'd rather my baby be safe." Your father engulfs you in a hug, similarly to the one your mother gave you earlier.

Lying in bed that night, you stare at the ceiling and run over every possible second you can remember from your encounter with Regina. Your heart begins to race as you remember her face and the tension between you two. Though it sinks when you remember how the evening ended.
So abruptly.
Maybe you said something?

As if the light from the window wasn't enough to disturb your sleep, a loud ringtone begins buzzing by your ear.
"Hello?" Your voice cracks down the phone.
"You wanna come to work with me today? I'll pay you a wage. We have so much to do." Emma immediately responds.
"Well good morning to you, too." You sarcastically retort.
"Do you want the money or not?"
"Yeah! Jesus. I'll be up in a second." You roll your eyes.
"I'll come and get you in half an hour."
"Okay. Bring coffee."
"On it."
The clock reads 8 am.
Immediately you shower, dry your hair and put some make up on; deep down hoping you'll run into Regina.
The knock sounds and this time you make sure to put your pants on before opening it.
Emma looks you up and down before thrusting a coffee cup into your hand.
"Nice to see you got dressed to open the door today."
You shoot her a sarcastic smile.
"Where were you last night?" She asks pointedly.
Shit.
"No. Don't pull that shit on me." You know she's using her superpower.
She laughs.
"What?"
"You know what." You laugh. "Let's go do some work, slacker."

"Hi Graham." You politely introduce yourself.
"Hey, Ivy." He relaxes in his chair when the two of you turn up.
"My sister's going to be helping us today."
"Are you paying her?"
"Of course." Emma responds, already busy at her desk.
"Does Regina know about this?" Graham worries.
The thought of her immediately tenses you.
"What Regina doesn't know can't hurt her." Emma quips.
"What are you gonna tell her?" You ask.
"If she asks, I'll tell her the truth." Emma shrugs.
"If only it was that simple for us all." Graham chuckles.

"Hey, Graham could you pass me that dart? It's right by your-" Emma calls.
"Ah, our tax dollars hard at work, I see." Regina mocks as her heels click into the room.
"Hi, Regina." Emma groans.
"I see you've got some help today." Regina gestures to you. "Good morning, Ivy."
"Morning, Regina." You smile a little too wide.
"Care to tell me just why you need an extra employee, Miss Swan?"
"It's just for today, Regina." Emma groans once again.
Regina's eyes wander back to you, making you feel vulnerable.
"I see." Regina distantly responds, still looking at you. Her head quickly whips back as she brings herself back to the moment. "In future I would like to be told, as your employer."
"Sure." Emma eyes the two of you suspiciously.
"Ivy, may I speak to you outside for a moment?" Regina asks.
"Of course." You nod, following behind the woman and ignoring your sister's stare.
"Are you comfortable with helping on the police force today?" She asks, a tone of concern coating her voice.
"Honestly, it's fine." You shrug, desperately wanting to ask her if you did anything wrong last night.
"Are you alright, dear?" She asks once again. This time her hand gently rests itself on your arm. Your skin explodes under the surface and you lose all train of thought.
"Oh-" you begin. "Yeah... I just wondered if I upset you last night or said too much." You get nervous. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable I just wanted to you understand what I see- I don't know." You said too much again.
Her hand squeezes around your arm and you look into her eyes.
"You didn't do anything wrong." She smiles. "I was the one who was acting strange. You'll have to forgive me I'm just not used to hearing things like that and frankly, I was taken aback."
"I wasn't-"
"Stop." She instructs firmly. And honestly, it turns you on. "You did nothing wrong, Ivy. If you'd like, Henry keeps insisting on doing it again..."
"I'd love to."
"You would?"
"Stop acting surprised." You chuckle, watching her smile makes yours wider.
"Does Friday work?"
"That's too long." You pout slightly. It's Tuesday.
"Don't pout, dear." Regina looks at your lips. "When?"
"Tonight?"
"You really did enjoy yourself, didn't you?" She smirks.
"Maybe." You blush.
"Tonight it is."
"You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a date." You lean your head back against the wall behind you.
"Oh, you would?" Regina steps slightly closer after looking down the corridor. "With a 10 year-old boy?" She chuckles.
You laugh at that.
"He can go to bed early, hey?" You wink, somewhat joking.
Regina chuckles.
"You could only wish." She smirks, playing back as she steps away.
"What time?"
"6." She says before spinning away and strutting off. "Be careful, today." She calls.
"I will." Your heart melts.
Maybe you didn't scare her away, after all.