Chapter 12

"Hi." You sheepishly greet a still, perfect, looking Regina at her front door.
"Ivy." She sounds surprised.
"I'm a little early." You wince.
Regina smiles a little wider.
"Not at all. Come in." She beckons.
"Thank you." You become nervous under her gaze. "Uh- these are for you." You stretch your arms out to give her the wine and flowers.
"Oh." She sounds as if she's never been given flowers before.
"It's just to say thank you." You shrug. "And for having me over."
"Of course." She smiles. "Both Henry and I enjoy your company."
That makes your heart swell.
"Is he upstairs?" You ask gently, pretending not to know.
"Oh- I meant to let you know..." she shakes her head. "He pleaded to spend the night at your mother's house."
"He did?" You tilt your head.
"I hadn't gotten around to telling him you were coming over... I think that would have changed his mind."
"Do you mind that I'm here or would you rather have the evening to yourself?" You attempt to sound casual, secretly hoping she wants you here.
"Don't be ridiculous, dear." She smiles. "As I said, I enjoy your company just as Henry does."
"I'm glad to hear."
"That is- if you don't mind being stuck here with Henry's boring mother."
"Okay. I'll stop you there." You chuckle. "I would happily be stuck anywhere with Henry's boring mother." You tease her.
"Oh?" She smirks. "I am boring, huh?"
"So boring that I wanted to come back the next day."
"I haven't scared you off yet, dear?"
"Not quite yet." You smirk.
You love to play with her.

"This wine is fantastic." She hums as she sips it.
"Good. I knew you'd have expensive taste." You smirk.
"You don't know nearly as much as you think you do, Miss Swan." She narrows her eyes at you.
"No." You agree. "But I'd like to."
Regina doesn't say anything for a moment, she merely sips her wine and looks at you.
"Where are you from?" She narrows her eyes. "Where have you been all this time that your family has been here?"
"In New York- studying." You shrug. "My parents have lived here ever since I can remember. And Emma and I have lived together our whole lives."
"And you didn't move with Emma?"
"We didn't speak a whole bunch. She was busy doing her thing with the police force and I was busy doing mine. That's the thing with growing up independent... you don't really need anyone around."
"I understand that." Regina admits.
"You do?" You smile at her softly.
"Not many people do."
"Do you have people to speak to here? Like- friends or... a partner?" You ask, suddenly concerned for what life must have been like before you met Regina.
"Everybody looks at me like I am this evil queen." She dismisses the question slightly. "You're the first person who hasn't."
You feel taken aback by this sentence for a moment.
"What about Graham?" You blurt.
"What about him?"
"He was here that night when I arrived in Storybrooke... I thought he was your husband or something."
Regina laughs at this.
"He's the deputy." She says. "He was looking for Henry."
"Right." You agree.
"...Have you ever read that book?"
"Henry's book of fairytales?" She scoffs. "Scarcely."
"It's funny that he has such strong ideas." You mutter.
"His head is rooted in fantasy." She rolls her eyes.
"He's a good kid." You smile. "You raised him well." You lean across the counter, wine glass in your hand.
"Thank you, dear." She smiles back.
"Does anybody know that you're here?" Her tone changes.
"No." You answer. "Although Emma keeps asking me where I'm going."
"She's always inserting herself into business that isn't hers."
"I've had to live with it... I know." You roll your eyes.
"What did you tell her?"
"I said it's none of her business." You shrug. Regina looks at you, waiting for you to continue. "She thinks I'm seeing someone- That I'm sleeping with someone." You chuckle slightly.
"And are you?" Regina bristles.
"Well, I'm seeing you right now."
"Are you sleeping with anyone?" She reiterates.
"God, no." You shake your head.
"Are you?" She looks horrified by the question. "Hey! You asked me, it's only fair." You lift your hands in defence.
"If you must know, Miss Swan, I am not."
"Good."
Shit. That came out fast.
"Good?" She smirks into her wine glass.
"More wine?" You distract unsuccessfully by filling up the glasses.
"I hear Ruby has quite the crush." Regina eyes you up.
"On me?" You gawk. "No way. How would you even hear that?"
"People talk. I hear." She raises an eyebrow. "Not interested in women?"
"Oh- no." You shake your head. "I'm very interested in women. More so than men in every way- jesus." You shiver. "But I'm not so into Ruby. She's fun but she's not what I want."
"And what is it that you want, dear?" Regina questions.
She knows what she's doing.
"I'm still figuring it out." You lie.
"And you? What is it you want? A woman like you being single doesn't add up to me."
"Someone who understands and values my world."
"A man?" You presume.
"A person." She corrects you. "I'm an adult, Ivy. I can admire beauty in any sex."
You nod in agreement, though your mind is going a million miles an hour.
"It took my mother a minute to understand when I came out."
"Why's that?" Regina narrows her eyes, concern written across her face.
"She didn't have a problem with it, really." You shrug. "But she didn't expect it. Her life has always been so perfect... with meeting my dad and them being so in love. It's all very fairytale-like." You see Regina purse her lips but don't mention it. "She just always expected me to find a Prince Charming. It threw her when she found it maybe it was gonna be a princess instead."
"My mother was the same." Regina's eyes fade into a memory. "I never truly told her but she knew. She always knew everything... she wanted me to be perfect. All I ever wanted back then was to be happy." She looks as if she could shed a tear, though she composes herself quickly.
"And now?"
"Hm?" She questions.
"What do you want now?" You gently ask.
"I'm satisfied. I'm happy with Henry."
"All due respect, Regina, but are you happy with yourself?"
She stops. And you're unsure if you've overstepped.
"Is anyone?"
"Can I ask you something?" You scoot slightly closer.
Regina looks nervous for the first time ever.
She's afraid of being vulnerable.
"You can." She sounds skeptical.
"Why don't you see the value in yourself? It is so clear to me when I look at you. Though you don't see it at all."
She stops.
Her hand actually reaches out and gently rests under your chin.
For a moment you think she's going to kiss you and your heart leaps.
She doesn't move, she just looks at you.
You try so hard to avoid a blush but you feel the heat rising.
"As I said, dear," she whispers. "You don't know nearly as much about me as you think."