Chapter 9

"He's fast asleep." You chuckle as you see Regina at the bottom of the stairs.
"He's been over-excited all day." Regina smiles as she rolls her eyes fondly at her little boy.
You stand and look at her for a moment, admiring her features in the darker light.
Her eyes flick to yours and you can't help but smile back.
"I-"
"Would you like to stay for a drink?" She asks, masking her nerves with a politician-like smile. "I'm sorry-" she addresses your sentence that never formed.
"No." You interrupt, somewhat flustered by her. You try not to sound too excited. "Yes." You blush.
Regina smirks at your response.
"No?" She teases. "Or yes?"
"Yes." You chuckle. "I would love a drink."
"Very well." She almost grins at you and your heart explodes.

"Isn't your mother going to wonder where you've been?" The older brunette asks.
You notice a slight mischievous glint in her eye, as if she's proud of it.
"My mother doesn't need to know everything, despite what she thinks." You quip, somewhat joking.
She smirks to herself slightly and chuckles under her breath.
"How old are you, dear?"
"Twenty two."
She nods to herself and you watch her take in the information.
"Aren't you going to ask me the same?" She teases.
"Well- that's rude, isn't it?" You fluster slightly.
She's amused.
"I suppose so." She smirks. "I'm surprised you're so charmed by the company of an older lady."
You immediately blush.
"Oh-" you fluster. "You mean I should be out partying and drinking with other people?" You clarify, changing the edge of the subject.
"Isn't that what you'd rather do?"
"Not at all." You smile at the brunette, just now taking in her features. Her skin is virtually flawless and her face just seems to captivate you. "What do you do for fun?"
"Excuse me?" She chokes on her drink, taken aback by the question.
You chuckle.
"I don't believe that you're so boring." You smirk.
"I don't have time for fun."
"Oh, come on." You chuckle. She doesn't budge. "What's your favourite thing to do?"
She pauses in thought, though she tries to hide the fact that she's unsure.
"Do you like to dance?" You grin, attempting to get a reaction.
All you get is an expression of distaste.
"Certainly not."
"You're definitely good at cooking." You counter.
She pauses. "Thank you."
"I'll figure you out, one day." You smirk, narrowing your eyes at the woman.
"Oh, will you, dear?" She smirks.
Her persona immediately making you blush.
"That is... if you'll let me." You continue.
"If I didn't know any better, dear... I'd say you were flirting with me." Regina smirks salaciously.
You smile at her for a moment.
"Maybe I am." You raise your eyebrows nonchalantly and sip your drink, provoking a chuckle from the older brunette.
"You're brave." She continues to smirk.
"I think I can take on the Evil Queen." You joke, hoping she takes it the right way.
"An incredulous task, most would say."
"You must be so used to people fawning over you..." you change the tone, genuinely interested in what is going on in this woman's mind.
"Oh, I can assure you, Miss Swan, I am not." She scoffs.
"I find that so hard to believe." You tease her, smirking.
"And why is that?" She smirks back, enjoying the play.
"You're beautiful." You gesture as if it's the most obvious fact in the world. "No one could ever deny you that title, no matter how much they may dislike you."
She looks taken aback.
"Do you really think that?"
"You don't?" You gawk. "Regina, without trying to sound creepy, you're the most beautiful woman I've ever met." She pauses and looks at you for a moment, you continue. "Regardless of my opinion, you are beautiful."
She continues to stare, emotion behind her eyes but not yet shown in her face.
Her walls are high.
"I heard you speaking to Henry earlier..." she begins, you let her continue. "And you said-" she clears her throat. "That you thought I was a good person."
"I did." You nod.
"Why?"
"You've been nothing but kind to me since I've arrived. I only have my experience to judge from and I don't care what anyone else says. You're a good person, Regina. You're the single most interesting thing about this town."
She clears her throat once again, pushing down any vulnerability rising within her.
"You should be heading home." She puts her wine glass in the sink and takes your finished one. "Your mother is probably worried."
You take the hint.
You've scared her off. Great.
"Of course." You smile, though you gradually feel the impulse to cry, you hide it. "Thank you for being so hospitable."
"You're welcome, dear." She smiles, leading the way to the front door.
"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask." You nod as she helps you put on your coat.
"Of course." She smiles, seemingly frantic. "Goodnight, Ivy." She lets you out the door.
"Goodnight, Madame Mayor." You nod.
"Regina." She smiles.
"Goodnight, Regina." You smile, though your heart is squeezing in your chest.
And just like that the door shuts.