Chapter 26

"Come and help me set up the bar for opening." Roni heads back to the bar, next to you.
She begins prepping the taps along the side as you grab a bottle from just below her.
You don't notice but she begins to step back and loses her balance as she collapses onto you.
Her body tumbles on top of yours, as you lay on the damp floor, blushing.
"Oh I'm so sorry-" you begin to panic but you stop as you see the grin on her face.
She begins to laugh and you follow along, your faces end up inches apart.
You feel a slight drop on your stomach and glance down to see a necklace with the initial 'R,' has fallen on you.
You frown slightly as you pick it up, Roni begins to grab it but you move it away a little.
"Let me." You unclasp the necklace as your arms move around her neck, brushing past her hair as you re-clasp it.
The tension is palpable and you can't help but stare at her lips.
"Perfect." You muse as you let the necklace drop around her neck as it's supposed to.
You swear she's moving closer but before you know it you hear the bell above the door.
Shit.
You both scramble up.
"Welcome to Roni's, what can I getcha?" Roni brushes a hand through her tousled hair.
"Just a double whiskey, please." He slams his money down on the counter.
It's Levi.
"Sure." Roni cashes the money and taps you on the back, signalling for you to take this one; you oblige.
"I see you've got a new worker." He observes.
"You know, you should really consider working for the force, you're really quite the investigator aren't you?" Roni sarcastically quips.
Regina's in there somewhere.
"Haven't I seen you before?" He narrows his eyes at you, ignoring the older brunette.
Your heart leaps a little.
Maybe this curse isn't as intricate as you thought.
"I don't know, have you?" You put down the whiskey.
"Yeah." He begins. "You were in here last night. I knew I wouldn't forget a pretty face like yours." He smiles.
You can't hide the grimace on your face.
"Maybe if you stopped spending all your time drinking, you could find some poor woman who doesn't mind your whiskey breath." Roni sasses.
"What have I got to do for it to be you, Princess?" He takes his drink and sips.
"I'm not your princess." You lean on the bar and glare. "And I hate to crush your poor attempt at what I'm sure you call, flirting- I don't like men. But if I did, trust me, it wouldn't be you."
Roni grins.
Suddenly you blush, divulging that information so freely.
He cowers and takes his drink.
"Nice one." She winks as she passes you.
That felt good.
And know she knows.

"It's getting busy." You call over the bustle to Roni, who's swinging the bar towel over her shoulder.
"Wanna go for a cig break?" She winks as she taps your shoulder.
"You smoke?" You stop your mouth from hanging open.
"No." She shakes her head. "But if you pretend to, you can get away with more breaks in the books." She grins.
"What about the bar?" You motion to the number of customers drinking.
"I'm sure they'll survive without another for 10 minutes." She quips. "I know the owner. Come on." She winks once again, turning away and strutting off.
This time you blush as you laugh behind her.

You sit out the back on some empty kegs.
"You handled that customer really well earlier." She leans on the wall, a very cool stance.
"You think?" You raise an eyebrow curiously.
"Yeah." She chuckles with a smirk. "You should have seen his face after."
"I'm sure you get customers like that often." You roll your eyes, not quite realising the throwaway remark you just made.
"Honestly, no."
"I'm surprised." You blurt.
"Why'd you say that?" She frowns and shifts her weight slightly, leaning closer to try and understand what you're saying.
"Oh." You blush, nervous under her gaze. "I just thought you'd have people hitting on you all the time." You shrug, attempting to make it nonchalant.
The penny drops for Roni and immediately she smirks.
"Yeah, well- you'd be the first to assume so." She chuckles, leaning back against a keg. "I never even let them get the chance."
"Most men don't even listen or just think it's hot when I say I like women." You scrunch up your face in disgust.
She changes her posture slightly, though keeping her cool stance.
"Well, my baseball bat and friendly demeanour will keep away any prying eyes or conversations you're worried about." She protectively states.
You have to stop your eyes from lighting up; but you grin at her.
"Thanks, Roni."
You admire her features for a moment and how they melt into your Regina.
"What are you doing here? In this town?" She says in a more thoughtful tone.
"Uh-" you think about it for a second. "I don't know, to be honest." You sigh. "I feel as if I'm miles away from home but I just don't know where that is." You shuffle slightly, feeling the sadness wave over you.
"I know the feeling." She casually nods in agreement.
"You do?" You respond almost a little too fast.
She simply nods distantly in response, as if she's recounting a fond memory.
"Come on-" she shakes herself out of her thoughts. "I'm sure the customers are wanting another by now." She watches you carefully and you feel the nerves kick in under her stare.
As you pass her she casually places her hand on the back of your shoulders, giving a slight tap after a moment of contact.
It makes you crave her touch all over again.
You watch as she passes you and shoves her towel back into her tight jeans.
God, those tight jeans.
That's something you'll have to ask Regina to wear once this curse is broken.
Though, you can already hear her answer.
- "Not in a million years, my dear."