Chapter 16

"You're beautiful." You whisper as your lips part.
Almost a word-vomit.
She chuckles, hiding her blush.
"Are you helping the police station again, today?" She asks flippantly, adding a little more space between you.
"Why?" You grin. "You wanna know if I'm free?" You tease.
"It was a simple question, Miss Swan. I said nothing more." She twists her lips to hide her smile.
"Fine, Madame Mayor." You play along. "No, I am not helping today." You see her nod. "Although..." you begin. She smirks and raises her eyebrows at you, waiting for your proposal. "I was going to ask if you ever needed help babysitting Henry, I'd be happy to help."
"Oh, you would, would you?" She teases.
"Or if you ever needed a babysitter, I think I could do that too." You chuckle.
"Oh I was wondering where I could get one of those." She also laughs.
The easy-going banter between you two brings you more joy than even kissing. It feel so intimate because you can see Regina's walls are abnormally high and just by this small conversation, you are slowly being trusted.
"What I was going to ask was..." she continues. "Would you like to have dinner with Henry and I again tonight?"
You grin at her and she can't help but smile back.
"Of course I would."

"Mom?" You call out into the apartment. "Da-"
"Oh, there you are honey!" She smiles and embraces you comfortingly. "We just finished breakfast-" she explains.
"It's okay, I stopped for food." You add.
"Ivy!" Henry runs up and ties his arms around your waist.
"Hey, kid." You kiss his head.
"You smell like my mom." He lifts his head.
Great.
Your blush creeps up your skin and you notice Emma's face of amusement in the corner.
"Oh-" you begin. "I just had a meeting with your mom, that's probably why." You brush it off.
"What kind of meeting?" Emma smirks.
"Well, Mom," you get her attention. "You remember I said to you about babysitting for her?"
"I do." She smiles.
"I just spoke to her about the proposition and said if she ever needed it I could help out."
"That's sweet of you." Your mother smiles. "I'm sure your mother could use it with all her work, don't you think Henry?"
"Mhm." He grins.
"I'm sure she'll need a lot of you." Emma adds.
You shoot her a glare.
"Where's dad?"
"He's on the long shift."
"Levi, again?"
"You betcha."

"What was this meeting really about?" Emma teases from behind you as you finish brushing your teeth.
You frown at her before spitting out the water.
"Babysitting." She laughs at you and you roll your eyes. "Why are you so nosey?"
"Ivy. You're dating REGINA of all people. I'm just so intrigued by what the hell is going on."
"Okay- first of all, we're not dating." You begin. "And second of all, you say that like she's an alien or something. What makes it so hard to believe?"
"I don't mean it like that." Emma defends. "I just mean- she's so cold. And she literally hates everyone so I just find it hard to get my head around."
"I can tell you she doesn't hate everyone." You add. Emma laughs once again. "She doesn't."
"Oh really?" Emma smirks.
"She just finds it hard to trust people and I think she finds it easier to just keep them at a distance."
"Well, as I said before, as long as she makes you happy that's all that matters."
"Exactly." You agree. "Thank you."
"What do you talk about?"
"Emma."
"Sorry."
You continue getting ready, thinking of one particular sentence.
"She did mention mom."
"What did she say?" Emma gets defensive.
"Nothing bad." You shrug. "Just that... well- you know moms bad at keeping secrets?"
"Yep."
"Regina sort of said that she spread a secret around of her own."
"Sort of said?"
"So basically I was saying that if she wanted to talk about anything she could and that I'm good at keeping secrets. And then I said 'unlike my mom.'" You explain. "And she sort of said 'yeah I know.'"
"What? I didn't even know they knew each other."
"That's what I said!" You agree.
"She said it was distant. Like they distantly knew each other."
"Mom's never said anything about this."
"I wondered if you knew anything."
"Nothing at all. Maybe talk to her."
"I will." You agree, the thought mulling over your mind.
"Graham was asking about you." Emma adds.
"He was? Why?" You frown.
"He was asking if you were going to help out any time soon." She laughs.
"Oh, no." You hide your face. "You don't think he-"
"Absolutely." Emma chuckles. "Should I tell him you're busy with Madame Mayor?" She teases.
You throw a pillow at her.
"Absolutely not. I thought he liked you, anyway." You add.
"We had a brief 'thing.'" Emma explains. "But I'm a little like you at the moment."
"Like me?" You scoff.
"I have eyes elsewhere."
"WHERE?" You gawk. "There's like 4 people in this town, who is it?"
"Killian."
"Who the hell is that?"
"You haven't met him."
"Yeah, no shit. What's he like?"
"He's nice."
"Nice?" You scoff. "Emma, that's not like you."
"What?"
"Nice=boring in your mind."
"He's different."
"Okay. I look forward to meeting this 'nice' guy."
Now it's her turn to throw a pillow at you.

You suddenly think about if you need anything for dinner at Regina's. Wine and flowers was last time but what now?
It's not a romantic date necessarily so would it be weird to keep bringing gifts?
You wish you could just text her at this point.
"Does anyone have Regina's number?" You ask.
"Why?" Emma calls back.
Henry's eyes are glued to the tv.
"Because she's asked me to help out with Henry this evening and I want to ask her if I should bring anything." You lie, kinda.
"That's sweet of you." Your mother coos. "I don't think we do."
"I don't." Emma confirms. "She'll probably be in her office. She doesn't take a day off."
"Okay." You grab your coat.

Making your way to the practically desolate town hall, you keep an ear out for any sign of her.
Why would she want to work a Sunday?
You knock on her office door, expecting to be met with silence.
"Who is it?" You hear a somewhat annoyed voice call out.
"Sorry, I don't wanna interrupt." You enter and immediately her face changes.
"Ivy. Haven't you had enough of me today?" She teases.
"Nowhere near." You quip.
Her glasses are perched on her nose and honestly it drives you crazy.
"Everything okay, dear?"
She pulls you out of your trance.
"Uh- yeah. I just wondered if you wanted me to bring anything this evening. I would've texted but I don't have your number." You clarify.
"I see." She smiles. "I don't want you to bring anything. Just, preferably Henry... and yourself."
You chuckle.
"I think I can manage that."
"Good." She just watches you.
"Why are you working?" You blurt.
"What do you mean?"
"It's a Sunday, Regina." You sit in the chair opposite her desk.
"Days of the week aren't relevant when you're Mayor, Miss Swan." She purses her lips, her glasses still on her nose.
"What about fun?"
"Fun?" She scoffs.
"Life is about balance." You clarify. She just smirks at you. "And you need more fun in your life."
"Is this an intervention now?" She raises her eyebrows at you, amused.
"It's whatever you wanna call it but I'm stopping you from working." You take her glasses and sit on her desk.
"You are?" She practically purrs.
"Mhm. And you can't convince me otherwise."
"I can't?" Her face pulls in inches from yours.
"You're evil." You grin. She begins kissing your jawline. "Regina." You breathlessly declare.
"Mm?" She feigns ignorance.
"You are not allowed to work. Come with me." You jump up and grab her hand, gently pulling her behind you.