Chapter 7

"You're both here!" The little boy beans with happiness as he runs up and engulfs you both. "Did you finally break the curse?"
Regina purses her lips in frustration and you notice from the corner of your eye.
He must mention this a lot.
"Unfortunately not yet, kid." You scruff his hair and he pouts back at you.
"But you're together! That means we're getting closer."
"I think you hit your head a little harder than my mom said." You joke, mostly toward Regina.
The corner of her mouth turns up in a smile and your heart flutters.
"I did not." The boy protests. "You'll believe me once you see." He continues to pout, walking in front of the two of you to prove just how annoyed he is.
"Has he ever mentioned this curse to you?" You quietly ask Regina.
Her face stays facing forward and you thank the gods because there's no way you could keep your cool with her face this close to yours.
"That I'm the Evil Queen? All the time." You've clearly hit a nerve.
"Kid's will never understand how much their parents do for them." You attempt to console her slightly. She doesn't take the bait so you continue. "If it counts, I would bet that you're an amazing Mom to him. He's a great kid and it takes someone great to do that."
She looks at you and you have to fight to keep your eye contact.
"Thank you." She says with sincerity. For a brief moment she looks overwhelmed by the statement.

"Mom!" Henry calls out, already at the top of a driveway and outside a grand front door. "Can I play some games before I do my homework, please?"
"No, Henry, you know the rules." She raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow and immediately you think it's so hot.
"Your Mom has work to do too, Henry, so it's only fair." You joke.
He rolls his eyes but you notice Regina's slight smirk as she unlocks the door.
"Let me take your coat." She holds out her arms to help you take it off and you oblige shyly.
"Thank you." You hide your blush.
Looking around, you admire the staircase and the grand furniture, like that of the kind you saw in her office.
"Would you like some apple cider? I made some yesterday."
"I guess it's 5 o'clock somewhere." You chuckle. "Sure, why not."

"Thank you." She hands you a glass and sips her own.
"It's the least I could do for your offer, dear." She smiles through a sip.
"From what you suggest, I wouldn't say many people in this town help you. You've been great to me so it's fine, honestly."
"If it's money you want I can pay you for today."
"Regina-" you stop her. "I don't want anything." You chuckle. "I really did just want to help you."
"Oh-" she frowns, coming to terms with it.
God, people must be horrible to her in this town. "Well, thank you." She mutters, as if the words are twisted, once again.
You don't draw attention to her surprise.
She begins to flick through her mound of paperwork and you find yourself watching her, taking in every detail available to your eye; and enjoying every second of it.
"Can I help?"
Her eyes peer up at you through her glasses and you just about feel the heat rush to your cheeks.
"You really are your mother's daughter." She rolls her eyes.
"Oh, wow." You sarcastically retort. "That was a low blow."
"Hardly, dear." She smirks.
"I'm gonna check on Henry." Your heart races at the slight flirtation with Regina. "And leave you to do your work- on your own." You chuckle at the woman, leaving her smiling in the kitchen and feeling a million bucks because of it.

"Hey, Henry." You emerge in his doorway, observing the way his little face frowns at his homework. "Need any help?"
"Did you remember?" He grins, his eyes sparkling as his waits for your answer.
You pause for a moment.
"Not yet, kid." You give a sympathetic smile, sitting on the edge of his bed. "But maybe one day we can read the story together, does that sound good?"
His head whips around to face you, pure delight displayed along his features.
"Yes!"
You chuckle slightly as he gets up and sits beside you, officially discarding his school work.
"Do you have superpowers too?" He asks, wide-eyed.
"Oh, I guess my sister has told you about hers hasn't she?" You grin.
He simply nods.
"I may have a secret superpower... but I can't tell you until you've done your homework."
He frowns at you, bitterly dissatisfied with your answer. "Can I ask you something, Henry?" You brush his hair with your fingers softly.
"Mhm." He nods.
"Why do you call your mom the evil queen?"
He turns to look at you.
"Because she is."
You feel your heart sink at his response.
"In the story?"
"The story is real." He passionately relays.
You pause for a moment.
"You wanna make a secret deal, Henry?"
"Yes!" His posture straightens with excitement.
"I'll tell you my super-power if you promise me one thing."
"What?"
"So... my superpower is that I can tell who's a good guy and who's a bad guy. And who's pretending."
He eyes you up closely.
"Like who?"
"Mr Gold is a bad guy." You explain.
"He is in my story too!" Henry squeals.
"Now, Henry." You grab his attention. "Your mom is not a bad guy. Trust me, I can tell." You nod along to him. "She's actually one of the best good guys I've ever met. But not many people can see it because they don't have my superpower."
"Oh." Henry nods.
"So, will you promise me, Henry, that you will stop calling her the evil queen?"
"But-"
"Henry, she isn't evil. She is one of the good ones, I promise you."
He pauses for a moment.
"Okay. I believe you."
"Good. I won't lie to you, kid. You can ask Emma." You chuckle.
You get up from the conversation and begin back to the door.
Henry immediately grabs his beloved book and begins reading once again.
You make a mental note to read it yourself, one day.