Chapter 19

"Well," you begin to blush. "I just mean that he said I would fall for you and I- I think you're the most interesting and beautiful person and yeah... I guess I am falling for you." You blurt. "I'm sorry if that's not what I should say but it's true."
"I told you not to apologise." Regina rebuttals.
You sit and wait.
Wait for her to admit any feelings as well.
"I feel stupid now."
"Why would you ever feel stupid?" She asks, a frown on her face.
"I just- do you know what this is?" You laugh with no humour.
"What what is, dear?"
"This. Us. Whatever this is." You gesture between you.
"I-" she begins. "I don't know." It seems she hasn't thought it through.
"Do you want it to stay a secret? Because I don't know if I can be someone's experimental summer fling."
"Excuse me?" Regina questions.
"What am I supposed to think?" You frustratedly throw your hands in the air. "I'm in too deep here... Regina, it seems like you're not telling me something." Alluding to her feelings.
She pauses for a moment, an internal battle clearly happening.
"Can't you tell how I feel by the way that I am with you? The way I look at you?"
Your heart swells slightly but it's not quite what you wanted.
"Why can't you just say it? I need that. Otherwise how am I supposed to know what I'm doing here?"
"Because not everything is as easy for everyone else as it is for you!" She snaps.
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" You frown. She just stares back. "Regina? What is wrong?" You urge her to answer.
"I can't be what you want me to be. I should have known." She dismisses the question.
"What? All I'm asking is for you to talk to me."
"You're asking me to..."
"To be vulnerable? Yeah. Is that so hard?" You add. She looks at you, a firm look on her face. "Regina, you know you're safe with me."
She takes your hands, a silent thank you.
"I don't know if you should be with me." Her eyes well slightly and you immediately get closer to her; worrying.
"Why would you ever say that?" You hold her face in your hands.
"I have so much you'd never forgive me for."
"I doubt that's true, Regina." You chuckle slightly, attempting to lighten the situation. "Unless you killed my whole family, I think you're good." She doesn't laugh. "I just want to know that I'm wanted here. I need to know that this is more than a surface-level fling."
"I don't think you understand." She shakes her head.
You give up.
"Okay." You try to stay calm, feeling defeated. "I think I understand." You continue about your tasks. "I'm just gonna go for a walk, you're okay to let yourself out, right?"
"Ivy-"
"Here's the key." You don't listen to her, turning away and out the door before you can say another word.
The tears immediately fall and you desperately wipe them away, refusing to cry in public like this.
How could you be begging someone to tell you you're worth their time?
The embarrassment begins to rise as you feel vulnerable and stupid after being met with such a brick wall.

A short walk later you decide to head to your parents apartment. Nothing could be better than pretending none of this happened right now.
You hear distant voices through the door as you knock.
"Ivy!" Your mother embraces you and you feel a lump in your throat begin to form.
Pushing it down, you look around the room to see Regina.
Of course.
She's picking up Henry.
She barely makes eye contact and you can see Emma sizing the two of you up immediately.
"Hi." You greet your mother, about to ask your dad for some alcohol.
"Ivy!" A little shriek interrupts your thoughts and you look down to see a beaming Henry.
"Hi, kid." You give your best grin.
"Anyway, we should be getting home now..." Regina begins.
You step away and toward the kitchen.
"Are you coming?"
You turn to see a little wide-eyed Henry looking up at you.
"Uh- I can't, really, Henry." You lie.
Emma knows.
"But Mom said you were coming to dinner this morning." He pouts, looking toward his mother and back to you.
"Oh, she did?" You awkwardly respond.
"Hey, I'm sure we can survive another night without you, honey." Your mother adds in.
You look to Regina and she gives you a reassuring smile.
Taking a brief moment to decide, you try to hide your frown.
"Okay, Henry." You smile down at the kid.

The silent drive home and walk up to the porch has your heart pounding in your chest.
You'll stay until Henry goes to bed, you conclude.
"Shall I take your coat?" A nervous Regina butts into your thoughts.
"Oh-" you startle. "Thanks." You murmur.
"You know the rules, Henry. Homework." The brunette instructs.
He sits at the edge of the stairs, undoing his shoe laces.
"Would you like any help with your homework, Henry?" You ask, desperately hoping he says yes.
"No, thanks." He shrugs. "It's English. It's easy today."
"Okay." You pretend to be unfazed.
"Would you like a drink?" Regina watches you carefully.
"Sure." You exhale heavily.

A long silence stays between the two of you.
"How was your walk?" She tentatively asks.
"I just went to get coffee." You shrug.
"Oh." She nods, sipping her wine through silence. "Thank you, for agreeing to come this evening."
"I couldn't let Henry down." You give an empty smile back. "And it saves me from my mother's cooking, I suppose." You attempt to make yourself feel a little lighter.
"I'm sure." Regina politely responds. "Oh, before I forget." She leaps into action. "Here's your key."
"Thanks." You weakly reply.
Your phone buzzes in your pocket and you notice a message from Emma.
Everything okay? I noticed.
You exhale at the text and Regina stirs, as if she wants to ask but won't.
You leave the message for now.
It's too much to respond to.
"Can I tal-" the brunette softly begins.
"I finished!" Henry jumps into the kitchen and you feel relief wash over you.
"How amazing are you!" You high five the little man.
"Can we play?" He excitedly jumps.
"Of course!" You happily oblige the boy.

"Dinner's ready!" The brunette calls out to you both and you feel a pang of guilt for not helping her.
"Why don't you go help your mom, Henry?" You urge him as he leaps up from the couch.
Entering the kitchen to sit at the table, you find yourself admiring Regina in her domestic habitat.
Just a day earlier, you thought that would be your world for a while.
You sit around the table in awkward silence, watching Henry's every move in the hopes of avoiding the topic of each other.
"Have you broken the curse yet?" Henry's eyes dart between the two of you with hope.
"No, Henry." Regina lightly scolds him.
"Not yet, kid." You add, a tinge of sarcasm only Regina would have picked up on.
Regina asks Henry all about school and his classes, just to be met with uninterested answers.
That only lasts 5 minutes.
After a long moment of silence once again, you decide to speak.
"This pasta is amazing." Your eyes only dart to her for a moment, not daring to take any longer of a look.
"Thank you." She simply responds, carefully tread.
Soon after, Henry begins to babble about some superhero movie and you thank the heavens something came up.
That remains the topic of conversation until dinner is done.

Regina gets up to clear the table but you stop her by taking the plate from her.
"I'll do it." You continue to complete the task.
"Nonsense. Don't worr-" she begins.
"I want to." Is all you say.
"Very well." She bristles slightly. "Thank you."
You begin to pour the water and soap into the bowl before you realise this probably wasn't a great plan because now you're stuck here until it's done.
Great.
"What time does Henry go to bed?" You ask as the boy goes back out to the couch.
"8."
You look at the clock. It's 7.
"Okay."
You feel Regina's eyes on you and know any second now she's going to bring it up. "You should go sit with Henry." You urge. "I'm fine out here."
She steps slightly closer to you, putting her wine down.
"Can I speak to you?"