Chapter 17

Before she reaches the front door of the town hall you grab her wrist and twist her around. Looking at her for a moment before crashing your lips together.
"Sorry, I had to." You admit as you pull away.
She chuckles, strutting behind you as you head to her car.

"Where are we going?" She turns to you, an excitement behind her eyes, though her face looks passive.
"Granny's."
She rolls her eyes.
"That's your idea of fun, Miss Swan?" She huffs. "I was beginning to think better of you."
"It's stop number 1, okay?" You chuckle. "Just trust me."
She starts up the car and you hear a whispered 'I do.'

"Wait here." You turn and although you want to kiss her again, you stop yourself.

"Hey, Ruby!" You call as you step into the diner.
"Hey! Someone's happy." She comments, grinning across the counter.
"It's the weather doing it to me." You lie.
"Yeah. The sun never comes out like this." She says. "What can I getcha?"
"Two iced coffees, please."
"Two?" She raises an eyebrow.
"One for Emma, if she wants it."
"Aren't you a good sister." She plays. "Black?"
"Yes, please. And actually... a grilled cheese too."
"Sure thing!"
Within moments she places the coffees in front of you with a smile.
"Thank you. How much?"
"Don't worry about it." She shrugs.
"Ruby!" You protest.
"Listen you've given us enough income since being here. Consider it a late welcome present."
You chuckle as a ding indicates the food.
"That'll be your grilled cheese!" She grins.
Handing it over in a bag, you collect your items and try not to rush too fast out to Regina.

"Not one item in your hand looks pleasant." She announces as you step into the car. You can't help but laugh at her. "What's funny?" She deadpans.
"I don't know." You admit. "You just make me laugh." You grin.
She rolls her eyes as she starts up the car once again. A smirk evident once she looks at you for the next direction.
"Drive to the forest."

You park up and Regina sits, turning to you with skepticism.
"We're going to the lake." You confess.
"Oh, that's been your plan all along?" She smirks.
"It's so beautiful and as you said before, no one else knows it's there."
She smiles at you before opening the door and hopping out.
"You're quite right, dear."
"Can you lead the way? I kinda forgot..." you chuckle.
Regina nods and simply begins walking.

"Still just as beautiful as this morning." You sigh as you look out to the scenery.
You could say the same about Regina. But you won't.
Not yet, anyway.
You lead the way to a series of smooth boulders to sit on and perch on top of the warm stone.
"If those are sodas in your hand, Miss Swan, don't even attempt to give it to me." She rolls her eyes.
"It's coffee." You laugh.
"It's cold." She deadpans, as if you must be lying.
"You've never heard of an iced coffee?"
"I'm glad to say I have not." She purses her lips.
"Just try it, please." You grin as she eventually holds the cup, grimacing at the condensation along the outside. She sips, her face unclear. "It's good, right? What do you think?"
Before she responds she screws her nose up slightly adorably, and you notice it's because of the cold condensation dripping from the cup. The water has landed along her skirt and without thinking, you immediately reach to gently wipe it off. Only when your hand makes contact do you feel the air become thick.
Your movement slows slightly but you continue to help her as she watches you closely. "Well, do you like it or not?" You ask, trying to avoid any embarrassment.
"I do." She says, as if she's surprised herself. "It's slightly messier than I'd hoped."
"It's only water." You shrug.
"Well, I can see why you would choose this on a hotter day, dear." She puts it down on the rock and watches you as you take a big gulp of your own coffee.
"I'm glad you like it." You grin, pulling out the grilled cheese.
Regina's face scrunches even more at the sight.
"I am not eating that."
"And why's that?" You grin at her.
"It's processed food."
"Like I said... balance." You take a bite and pass the sandwich to her. "I won't tell."
She looks apprehensive, eyeing up the sandwich in her hand.
"It'll change your life." You smirk as she lifts the sandwich to take a bite. Her face remains passive. "So?"
"It's not awful." She admits. You can't help but laugh at her. "What's so funny?" She defends.
"Nothing..." you continue to grin. "I'm just happy. You make me laugh."
"I'm glad." Regina mutters.
"Come on." You grab her hand and guide her toward the stream.
The small rocks float along the bottom of the blue lake and you immediately take your shoes off to enjoy the cooling water.
"What are you doing?" Regina asks, her heels staying firmly on.
Instead of responding, you stand in the water and reach your arms out, encouraging her hands to hold your own.
"Just dip your feet in." You offer, holding her firmly as she reluctantly kicks her heels off. She looks around before joining you in the shallow water. "No one else is here. It's just us." You smile as she trusts your judgement.

"How did you find this place?" You ask after a few minutes resting on a nearby rock, feet still in the water.
"Like you, I was on a walk, clearing my thoughts and I just found it." Regina admires the scenes before turning back to you.
"And you've never shared it?"
"Only with you."
"Not even Henry?"
"I always found it to be a safe place for me to be alone. So I never considered bringing him here."
"Do you wish I hadn't found it?" You want her to answer honestly.
She immediately turns to you, a frown on her face.
"Of course not." Her hand rests on your knee. "This day here so far has been infinitely better than any other memory I've spent here alone."
"I'm glad." You can't help but blush. "Shame we didn't bring any wine, huh?" You chuckle, standing up and immediately whipping off your t shirt.
Regina watches in silence, unsure of what's going on.
You unzip your jeans and wriggle out of the denim, before turning to a blushing Regina, though she's trying to hide it.
"Are you coming?"
"I beg your pardon?" She looks utterly confused.
"For a swim." You reach out your hands but she doesn't take them.
"Oh, no." She shakes her head.
"Are you sure?" You raise an eyebrow.
"Quite, dear."
"Suit yourself." You grin at each other before you swiftly turn away and dive in.

The crystal blue water seems unearthly, especially for a place like this in Massachusetts. You can see the bottom of each place you look and you've never felt so safe and serene in water quite like this.
As your head reaches the surface again you look over to see Regina watching you.
"Jealous, Madame mayor?" You call out.
"Not at all, dear." She smirks back.
You chuckle as you swim about some more, floating along and looking up through the tall trees and up to the clouds.
"It's not the same without the company..." you call out again. You turn to see Regina taking another bite out of the grilled cheese. "You like it!" You screech.
Regina blushes.
"I was merely curious." She shrugs.
You immediately swim up to her and can't help but laugh.
"Admit it! You like it!" You grin.
"I do not."
She takes her manicured foot and splashes you right in the face.
"Oh you play dirty?" You accept the challenge.
Immediately you take your hands and splash the blue water at her, getting her back.