Twenty

The next morning I woke up next to Isabel, with her drool all over my shoulder, ew!

I walked into my room and to my surprise there was a bunch of boxes laying around, the things for my room must've already came in. Damn that was quick.

I peeked inside to find the room things, but in the little boxes I found really old nicknacks that looked vaguely familiar. I also found a picture of my family, it was the last one we took together. My mother looked so happy yet depressed, my father looked tired and worn out, I had that tired look in my eyes as well, as for my little sister she looked as free as a bird with no weight on her shoulders.

I didn't even realize I was crying until I saw the tears drop land on the photo. Where did this stuff come from anyway?

I went downstairs and found Isabel's dad brewing coffee.

"Morning Katrina!"

"Good morning."

I sat down on the bar stool.

"Hey, where did those pictures and nicknacks come from?"

"Oh, the ones in your room?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, I headed over to your old house and brought some things that you might want. If there's anything you don't want then maybe Isabel can look through it. She loves old things like those. Or we could visit over there today and you could bring some stuff back."

"Alright, I think I'm gonna head over there by myself though later today."

"Alright, just be careful it's not a very safe neighborhood."

"I know, but I know everyone in it and they're all afraid of me, so, I think I'll be fine."

"If you say so."

"What's for breakfast?"

"Whatever you girls want."

"What do you have?"

"Eggs, toast, waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage, cereal, bagels ext."

"Oh! I know what I'm making!"

"You can cook?"

"Only a little, my mother taught me when I was younger."

"What are you going to make?"

"It's a surprise. And an old family recipe."

"Looking forward to it."

About an hour later it was finally done. It was a fruit tart on a cream cheese bagel with jelly, decorated with various fruits to look like an extravagant flower. It was beautiful. I almost didn't want to eat it.

"It's ready!"

"What's ready?"

"Morning baby cakes."

I handed her the fruit tart and her eyes lit up.

"Is this a fruit tart?!"

"Yep, go ahead and try it!"

"It's almost too beautiful to eat! Yet I'm so hungry."

"I know right! That's the best part!"

She took a small bite and I could see her eyes immediately light up, and she had a huge grin from ear to ear.

"THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER TASTED!"

"Really?! I haven't cooked in years, I'm surprised you liked it so much."

"Hey Isabel's dad!"

"Yeah?"

"Your breakfast is ready!"