SIX

"Again, we are asking anyone who has seen Miles Smith after Saturday, September seventeenth and anyone who has any information regarding his whereabouts to please come to the front office, call the police, or contact the Smith family. This concludes today's morning announcements. Happy Monday!"

The intercom clicks as Dr. Wright disconnects the line, and the classroom explodes with theories about the missing junior. Some people think that Miles ran away as plenty of other teenagers have. Other people think that to be too uncharacteristic of the shy, obedient student. I however, don't know enough about Miles to offer up any notion. I've seen him around before, showing off his hand-crafted portraits and miniature sculptures. He's talented.

My suspicion lies in the location of his final sighting — Corvin Wade's mansion.

"Okay, okay, let's all calm down and get back to work." Mrs. Baxter puts her finger to her lips, ceasing all dialogue.

I finish the assigned questions from the textbook long before the bell dismisses me so I'm the first one to exit the classroom. Just as I shut the door to my locker, a curly-haired girl rushes down the hallway and my heart swells. Arya wasn't in first period today and she's answered none of my messages. Maybe she's angry that I left while she was asleep. Maybe she regrets it altogether. The thought makes my insides quake.

Jamal makes it to her before I do, encasing her in a hug that escalades into a spin.

"Stop!" she squeals, swatting at him when her feet reconnect to the ground.

"Why you walkin' so fast, shorty?" He smiles, fidgeting with the tiny gold hoops in his ears.

Jamal Reid plays basketball for the school, and is better acquainted with Will than he is with me. His hair is cut into a taper fade, and I've heard my fair share of fawning from girls over the light hue of his brown eyes.

"I overslept! I have to hurry up and get my project so that I can present it in second period." She playfully shoves him out of her way and bounds over to her locker.

He follows her. Why is he following her?

"I'll walk you there. Let me get yo' bag."

He grabs it off her shoulder before she even responds and I watch as Arya pulls out a foldable piece of cardboard that's half her size from the metal compartment. Jamal bends to whisper something in her ear that makes her laugh, and I take that as my cue to interrupt whatever's happening.

"Wassup, Arya?" My tone is cheerful.

"Hey." Hers is not.

"I was just seeing if you were okay since you didn't respond to any of my messages."

"Why wouldn't I be okay? I don't need to check in with you every five minutes." She slams the door and turns to Jamal. "Let's go. My second period class is over there."

I watch her go, my eyebrows pulled together in stunned confusion before I power walk in the other direction at the sound of the first bell.

* * * ☽ * * *

"Wassup, my boy." Will daps me up after he sets his lunch tray down.

"Nothing, I'm irritated," I admit. "I've been thinking about Arya all day."

"Isn't that normal?" He laughs, taking a giant bite out of his burger.

I shake my head. "This time is different. She snapped at me for nothin' while she was over there flirtin' with Jamal. I didn't do shit to her."

"Damn, that bitch seems like she — "

"Relax, Will."

"Alright, my bad." He throws his hands up in surrender. " That young lady seems like she flirts with everybody. Maybe she's impressed by his dangly earrings. He looks like somebody's auntie."