TWENTY-TWO

"I am so proud of you, mija. Your skills have definitely improved."

"Gracious, mama. This time, I only added a drop from your stash." The joy in Cataleya's voice is palpable.

"Ahh, soon you will be just as good of a witch doctor as I am, and your abuelo will look down on you from the stars with pride, as will your papá."

My eyes slowly creep open from the potion-induced slumber and it looks like zero time has passed in the cottage as rays of orange sunshine pour in through the open windows, creating a thin layer of sweat around my neck.

"Oh, look who is finally coming to." A laugh as melodic as the singing wind chimes on the porch fills the room. "Hello, Andrew. I am Valeria." 

An older woman with rounded hips and coffee brown skin extends her hand towards me. I shake it, squinting as a headache blossoms. Somehow, my second round of magical medication isn't as seamless as my first. The pain in my ribcage has eased significantly and there aren't any more open wounds, however, my joints ache, I'm sluggish, and there is a prominent scar on my ankle.

"Witch...doctor?" I yawn, the moisture in my mouth nearly nonexistent. The black cat scales the back of the sofa, stopping to smell my hair.

"Sombra, down!" Valeria points to the floor and the animal obliges. "Let me guess, you thought that regulars were making special elixirs that mend broken bones overnight, instead of finely skilled sorcerers like myself?" 

"Well, yes...no. Listen, I've had a lot on my plate lately, just tryna stay alive so I didn't really think about who was making the Castril concoction."

"Join the club." She smirks, tying a silk scarf around her kinky hair. "Vomos, I know your stomach has to be touching your back after ten hours of no food."

"Ten hours?" I blink. "It's the next day? I gotta get home. I know my folks are worried sick about me." I throw my legs off of the round ottoman and stand up, immediately doubling over at the intense dizziness that invades my senses.

"Careful, Andrew." Cataleya warns, her palms out to steady me. "You have not received a dosage of the original Castril potion."

"Ugh," I grimace, slowly straightening my posture. "Is that why I feel sick and lethargic?"

"Partially. We will explain more once you have eaten." She giggles, eying my backside. "I think it would be best if you got cleaned up first though. I have laid some clothing out for you in the bathroom. Second door down the hall."

The draft on my butt cheeks makes me aware of just how shredded my suit and everything underneath it is. I teeter around the corner, covering my dignity with my hands, the sounds of amusement chasing after me.

***** *****

"Here you go." Maria smiles, placing a second helping of rice, beans, plantain, and grilled chicken in front of me. I thank her and begin scarfing it down, basking in the gentle breeze that graces my freshly washed skin. The village is just as quaint as I imagined, full of busy shopkeepers and buildings that blend in with the jungle.

Maria's outdoor restaurant is no different. Giant leaves act as plates that wither mere moments after they are cleaned and are tossed back into the thick vegetation to fertilize.