FOURTEEN

"Man, come on here." I honk my horn for the second time. "I ain't got all day."

"Relax." Will rasps. "I get nauseous if I move too fast." He finally shuffles off the porch and into the sunlit driveway, a blanket wrapped tightly around his bare shoulders. The chapped lips, runny eyes, and incessant groans really add to his zombie-like essence.

"Oh, and I got you some orange juice." I stick my hand out of the window to pass him the bottle. "They say that vitamin C is supposed to boost immunity or something like that."

"'Preciate it." He takes a swig of the cold beverage and grabs the greasy bag of food next. "My mama left me with a supply of canned soup, but I'm sick of that shit. And my car is in the shop."

"Damn it's bad for you right now." I laugh. "So why didn't yo' girl bring you something to eat?"

Will sucks his teeth, squinting underneath the morning's brightness. "Who do you think got me sick in the first place? She's at home in bed too."

"I was 'bout to say...y'all off again?"

"Nah, I can actually keep a relationship unlike some folks." His laugh turns into a coughing fit and I mug him.

"Touché." I nod, easing my foot on the brake and shifting gears. "Glad you finally admitted to being in a real relationship. Aye, I'ma hit you up later."

"Alright." Will grins, extending his hand.

"Nah boy, I don't want to catch whatever you got." I roll backwards and his expression falls.

"Fuck you, Drew."

***** *****

The hours at home tick by rather quickly and after I'm showered and moisturized, I opt for an all black fit. There isn't a better color. The finishing touches are a simple three sprays of cologne and the layering of my chains.

I linger in the doorway as the glint of the little glass ball on my dresser catches my attention. The hue of the specks seem to have returned to their initial intensity so I pick it up to study it further. I haven't been carrying it around with me lately and my mind drifts to the promise that I made grandma Lynn about heeding warnings.

Keep this with you at all times.

I shove it into my pocket and descend the stairs, telling my family goodbye. Trap music booms through my car speakers as I attempt to hype myself up for tonight. I'm determined to have a good time, even if it's not with Arya.

Dunder Millage looks even rougher in the day with the heaps of litter scattered across the lawns oh so apparent. Lauren struts out of the house clad in a chocolate brown trench coat that reaches her shins before I even get a chance to knock on the door. Her high heeled boots click noisily on the pavement as she walks past me. I chuckle, jogging to beat her to the passenger side and I pull the handle. "Well, hello to you too."

"You look sexy." The gum in her mouth adds a hint of mint to her sugary scent that wafts into my nostrils when she ducks into the car.

"Thank you. So do you." I gently shut her door before rounding the car and getting behind the wheel.

Lauren's full lips are painted burgundy and her dark hair tumbles around her shoulders in loose curls. Her eyes are outlined in black, elongating their shape and turning them into seductive pools of wildflower honey.

"I know." She grabs my chin, her pointed nails scaling my jawline.

Hillsbury Grove is simply picturesque in autumn. Red and brown leaves gently twirl in the air as they fall from the uniform trees aligning the street. Like moths to a flame, a multitude of flashy vehicles cruise towards the alpine brick mansion ten plots down to the right. The Miller family is nearly as popular as it is affluent. Hakeem's father works for the news station, his mother is a doctor, and his brother is a lawyer.