THIRTY-ONE

"Magnificent is what they were, or at least that is what I have gathered from the stories that my elders have spoken." Shawn tucks a few binders in his armpit, pushing the glass doors open and the summer heat kisses the apples of my cheeks. "I dream of the day thousands of sprites and glowing butterflies migrate from Fritzle to sprinkle their magic on the rest of the world. That will be the ultimate symbol that peace is restored."

"That reminds me." My shoes slap the concrete path that leads to the dormitories. "Why didn't I see Fritzle on the map?"

"Because it is essentially a realm inside of a realm. When King Khalon took the throne, his wife helped soil their trust so the fairies sealed their portals. Fritzle remains undetected and exclusive at their own accord."

"Damn. After all this shit is over, we gotta get drunk and frolic in the butterfly pastures." I turn my gaze skyward and my smile dwindles. "That is, if I ever learn to be an actual werewolf."

Shawn halts his step. "Follow me. I have an idea."

"Man, I'm not doing that hilltop shit again." I groan, semi-jogging to keep up.

"I am not taking you there." He waves me off, deviating from the common route to the field.

I'm hesitant to duck into a wooden area after him, releasing a heavy breath when his legs move faster. We power through the prickly shrubs and I almost tumble off of a high, rocky cliff until Shawn grabs my collar, snatching me backward.

"So you took me to an even bigger drop?" I tut, staring him in the eye.

"I think that this fall will allow your instincts to kick in and save you. Remember, all wolves have an innate desire for self preservation."

"Likely, huh? And what if that doesn't happen?"

"Doctor Nixon is not far away." He shrugs. "Listen, you do not have to do it. This is just a suggestion. You may have been able to skate by in the last few tests, but the time will come when you actually need to shift."

Dropping my bookbag, I creep towards the edge, my heart rapidly thumping in my chest. He's right. In every physical challenge, I've passed by the skin of my teeth. Sooner than later, my luck will run out.

"But then again, this could be just a stupid idea. I do not want to be responsible for your injuries, or — Andrew, wait!"

Shawn's pleas fade as I descend and for a moment, I feel as free as a bird. There is nothing on my mind, no fears to burden me. I close my eyes as the ground grows nearer, almost accepting my doom and grit my teeth as my veins ignite with a pulsing heat. My gums sting and the tears dripping from my eyeballs get lost in the wind right along with my breath. I land in the soil on all fours, unable to utter a single sound.

"Oh my Goddess!" Shawn yells, cautiously peering down. Tiny pebbles plummet onto my back. "It worked!"

Casting my gaze downward, I'm met with the sight of furry paws. Shreds of clothing surround my body on the ground, and I am relieved to have left my chains on my nightstand in the dorm room for once. I feel a little weird, but also elated. I prance around, raising my head to thank Shawn, but words fail me and a bark slips out.

"This is great," he laughs, slinging my bag over his shoulder. "Circle the cliff counterclockwise and you will reenter town. I will meet you back at the room, but do not take too long! I have... something to do."

At my first attempt to speed away, I trip over my own four legs. Taking off as a wolf is much different than running on two feet, but I manage eventually. There are a plethora of new smells in the air, and even the slightest of sounds reach my eardrums. Like the pitter patter of rodents on the forest floor, and the crunch of firm leaves being chomped on by caterpillars. I hop over a low hanging branch and swerve to the left, decelerating when I observe the glossy brown wolf outside of the spell bounds in the scorching wasteland.