TWENTY-SIX

"So, which pack do you hail from?" Nova adjusts the rearview mirror to look me in the eyes.

"None. I grew up in the human world."

"Interesting. Well, if Her Zenith Sryx has sent you here, you may actually be worth something. I will alert the Alpha's advisor of your presence, and she will probably have you sorted out with Airoclaw's academy later today or tomorrow morning."

"That would be great." I wince, leaning my head against the seat and staring out the window.

To an unsuspecting mind, most of the city dwellers look like regular human beings, but I know better. The broad shoulders they use to carry bags of grain, the sharp canines they flash while laughing, and the aggressive stride to get from one place to another are all reminiscent of the animal inside of them.

By comparison, my own appearance hardly reflects my supernatural lineage, courtesy of my regular incisors.

We arrive in front of a multistory building that expands several kilometers on each side. The wide awning is held up by four thick pillars in the front and a stone staircase leads up to the double doors. Nova pulls into a reserved parking spot to the left, labeled with the number two before hopping out of the car. Cataleya and I follow, leaving a sleeping José behind with the windows cracked.

"This is pack house A — the largest of the three here in Airoclaw. Lots of public celebrations, gatherings, and feasts happen here. As a matter of fact, there is one scheduled today." Nova pushes open the double doors and many faces turn to smile at her. There is a common theme of white, silver, navy blue, and walnut in the decor, and polished wooden bar in the center.

"What is the occasion?" Cataleya asks.

"You will see." She smirks. "Ozzy, please give our visitors ice packs and water. They have had a rather rough afternoon."

The faun behind the bar table pauses his step, looking us over curiously before nodding. He has two curly horns on either side of his head, and floppy ears that twitch with the sounds in the room. His long, braided goatee is straw-like and reaches the middle of his bare torso.

"Nova, there you are! You need to start getting ready now. You know that Alpha Chantel hates tardiness."

A petite woman with a blonde pixie cut rushes towards us, clutching a clipboard to her chest. She has a slender face, round eyes, and dark brown skin that is nicely moisturized. Both of her ears are pierced about four times each and the crystals sparkle underneath the overhead lights.

"Actually, I need to talk to you about something first."

"There is simply no time! Hello, Cataleya. It has been a while." The woman tugs Nova by the arm, only to whip her head around a second later, sniffing the air around me. "You smell.. peculiar. Who are you?"

"A rogue who has grown up in the human world." Nova explains. "That is what I wanted to tell you. Her Zenith Sryx sent him here to train in the academy."

"Fascinating. I've never met a human being before, but you reek of them. I am Kelli Sumpter, Alpha Chantel's advisor."

"Andrew Stone."

She shakes my hand and scribbles something on the paper pinned to the clipboard, placing the ink pen behind her ear. "Well, I would love to chat more about this, but we must be going. The Alpha will be notified of your arrival, Andrew. In the meantime, you all should attend tonight's show. It is a big deal."

"Will do." Cataleya promises.

We ice our heads and down a glass of water each from Ozzy before we rest on an empty sofa. José makes an appearance over an hour later slightly dazed, but no longer as pale as before. He finishes two full bottles on his own.