TEN

"Yo, Drew!" Hakeem yells, dusting off his current client's shoulders as the heavy glass door closes. "I can take you right after Marvin."

"No problem, Keem." I nod, taking a seat across from two other men. The bell signals the arrival of another customer and the shop fills with the sound of more sports conversation. Eventually, I dig my phone out of my pocket and type up a swift message. Nine minutes later, I've got a new notification.

Arya
I'm in the car with Morgan and Bri. We're going to get ice cream. Wby?

Waiting to get my hair cut. What are you doing tomorrow?

Arya
Hopefully you ;) why? What do you have in mind?

I want to take you out somewhere. I'll pick you up at five-thirty.

Arya
Okay. See you then.

The butterflies in my stomach almost have me skipping to the chair when Hakeem calls my name. I tilt my head down as the clippers get the back of my neck, laughing at Mr. James's story about how he found out his wife had a twin sister back when they were just dating circa nineteen ninety-six. The return of my crisp hairline and shiny waves prompts me to leave a generous tip.

"I'm celebrating my birthday at my folks' house on November twelfth, man. Come through! It'll be huge." My barber hands me an invitation and I shutter with deja vu reading the location. I've always known that the Millers lived in Hillsbury Grove and I've never been bothered until now.

"Alright. I got you." I blink, heading towards the exit. Hakeem is good people though and I can't punish him for the scars that Corvin carved.

"Dennis, wassup man? Come take a seat." Hakeem calls his next client over, laughing loudly and I close the heavy glass door behind me.

***** *****

With daylight savings on the way, the sun is already sinking in the sky, leaving behind a trail of pink and orange hues as decoration. This time, it's Arya who answers the door, attired in a little black dress and shimmery heels. Her golden hair is slicked back, calling more attention to her jungle green eyes.

"You look really good." I complement, leading her to my vehicle and she plants a kiss on my lips before climbing inside. The ride into the city consists of minimal conversation and we arrive at the steakhouse ten minutes till our reservation. I toss my keys to the valet and after giving my name to the hostess, follow her to an empty table. Candle lite, clinking wine classes, and the faint sound of a harp set the ambiance amazingly.

"Wow. You really know how to pick a restaurant, Andrew." Arya regards the dim, eloquence of the interior in awe and I feel my pride swell. My grandfather Ivan left behind a small fortune when he passed which aided in a lot of financial blessings for my family. Our home and access to fine dining is at the top on the list.

"I'm glad that you like it."

"Hello, my name is Victor and I will be your server this evening. Can I start you off with something to drink?" The slender male sets down a basket of warm bread and butter.

"Water is fine. Thank you."

He clasps his hands behind his back with a courteous nod before padding away.

"Too bad we aren't old enough to order some real drinks." Arya eases a small bottle of vodka out of her purse with a mischievous smile and I'm not too discreet about my surprise, throwing my head back. "Relax, I only brought one."