TWENTY-FOUR

"Happy birthday, dear Elle!" We chant merrily, gathered around the small pink cake resting on Shayla's palms. "Happy birthday to you!"

The one-year-old buries her face into the crook of Terrance's neck, shying away from blowing out her candle. With a swift exhale, Shayla does the honors. The shutter of Ms. Leala's camera mixes in with Elle's hiccups and everyone else's cheers. Both parents of the birthday girl wear striped cone hats, while mother and daughter show off in matching tutus.

"Now, who's ready for cake and ice cream?" Mr. Phil grabs a knife and the children get in line with festive paper plates and eager eyes. I watch as the dessert is carried away bit by bit until it's my turn to be served, snagging an ice cold beverage from the cooler as well.

"Congratulations, Andrew." A frail hand clamps around my arm before I've left the shade of the awning. I carefully turn around, coming face to face with Sierra's great aunt. She nudges a sealed envelope into the bend of my elbow. "I absolutely love to see young Black men in a cap and gown."

"Thank you, Ms. Gloria." I crouch down to give her an awkward side hug.

My high school graduation ceremony was a week ago. Dr. Wright pulled some strings and allowed me to walk across the stage with my class. I don't know how or why he did it, but I'm grateful. I haven't heard from Jamal, his family, the school board, or the police about what happened at prom. I guess an insincere apology letter was all it took to get back in everyone's good graces.

I navigate through the Peters' full backyard, past the bounce house, through the active sprinklers that are creating mini rainbows in the midday sun, and all the way to a small round table.

"Fifty dollars ain't bad at all!" Will shoves a spoonful of strawberry ice cream in his mouth. I sit down next to him and open my own card to reveal the same amount of money.

"Well, aunt Gloria gave me one hundred and fifty dollars." Sierra boasts, cocking her head to the side. The season has darkened her freckles and bronzed her skin. Will attempts to pat her down, making her squeal. "I don't have it on me!"

"Man," he squints. "I still haven't heard back from none of the spots that I applied to."

"Wait, I thought you already got accepted into two universities." I glide my finger across the condensation on my water bottle.

"I did. I'm talking about job applications. I have a whole year to run it up since the dorms are full."

"So do I." Sierra nods. "You'd know that already if you weren't so distant these days, Drew."

"Right, my bad." Envy seeps into my pores as they continue to discuss their upbeat plans for the future. Meanwhile, I don't even know if I'll live to tell the tale of my trip back to the magical realm. Grandma Lynn spoke so confidently of my safe return that night, reassuring me that I would be okay because of the Moon Goddess's mercy, but the grave expressions etched onto my parents' faces were undeniable.

We're all terrified.

"Hello," Sierra taps the tabletop with her hot pink nails and I blink. "I said, wouldn't it be fun if all three of us went to the same college, Drew?"

"Umm, sure."

Will sucks his teeth and throws his napkin on top of his plate. "Man, what's wrong with you? You ain't been the same since you ran away that night. Is it about that girl again?"

"I'm not going to college anytime soon."

"Why?" His mug deepens at my obvious hesitation. "Andrew, what's going on? For real."

"A lot." I take a deep breath and everything that I've held in for the last eight months spills out of my mouth like vomit. I tell them about the first time that I saw Sryx's eyes glow at the trail, about the elf-eye that I received after we fought Xander, about both of my werewolf attacks, about the hex that plagues my mother's health, and about the looming war in an entirely different world between beings that aren't even human. I lay it all out, except for the dreams. The nightmares. The ever present feeling of betrayal. Longing.