SEVENTEEN

"You're telling me that Corvin Wade is gay? That can't be. I've heard of him having sex with girls."

"Bisexuality is a thing, Will." Sierra counters, stabbing her salad with a fork. The noise in the cafeteria has finally died down as the excitement over the thirty-minute-old random fist fight between two sophomore girls becomes old news.

"I know what I saw." I take a hearty bite out of my chicken sandwich and wipe my mouth. "They have each other's names tattooed on their necks."

"Damn, what's ole dude's name again?"

"Blake. He's the one that held the giant cupcake at Corvin's place. They wore matching costumes at the fair."

"Oh, him! So what else happened that night?" Will dusts the salt off his hands and Sierra goes into full detail about Hakeem's party.

"Drew even brought a little date." She smirks.

"Look, It was a last minute decision, okay." I defend, suppressing sexual flashbacks that I still haven't had the time to fully process due to the plethora of paranormal events plaguing my life.

The first bell dismisses a huge wave of students to their third period class and I throw away my styrofoam tray, waving my best-friends goodbye for the day. Normally, I'd be in the mood to hang out after school but I've personally limited the time that I spend outside of my home.

Jamal and Arya walk past me with his arm draped around her shoulder. I make sure to keep my expression hard for the brief seconds that she and I make eye contact, swiftly turning my back on them to head to the vending machine room. Ever since the morning after my accident, I've had an insatiable thirst. Grandma Lynn says that it's a normal side effect of the Castril potion.

None of the working machine's are vacant so I just pick the shortest line and end up behind a willowy junior with a mop of brown curls.

"Wassup, Miles?" I nod and he jumps at the sound of my voice, prompting me to throw my hands up in surrender. "My bad. Just wanted to say that I'm glad that you're back safely."

"Thanks, Andrew." His smile is forced. "I'm just a little frazzled these days."

The bags underneath his dark eyes and the overall paleness of his light brown skin is highly indicative of his current mental state. Miles feeds the vending machine in front of him two crisp dollar bills and selects a few numbers.

"Understandable." I watch the bottle of apple juice fall from the third row. "Hope things get better. I know you haven't been out as much since Corvin's party and all."

He ducks down to retrieve his beverage before stepping aside. "Going to that party was the biggest mistake of my life."

"Damn, why you say that?" Now it's my turn to buy my own drink and the spiraling cords release it within a few seconds.

"Don't get me wrong, it was fun in the beginning. I walked in feeling good about being personally invited to a mansion." Miles strains to unscrew the top to his juice and it opens with a pop. "Then about thirty minutes in, a blonde server asked me to go upstairs with her and I took her lack of clothing as a hint to what was to follow. She was beautiful and I was honestly hoping to lose my virginity. So, I went."